Help with Crocodile and Roo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
:chef: Hey guys, its spiritwolf from Aussie land here, I am looking for help with some recipies to do with Crocodile and Kangaroo. I know Im in Australia and should know, I know how to BBQ Kanga to my liking, but how to get Croc to taste good and not bland is beyond me, I know maybe other Aussies might be able to help with this question, but anyone else who has any ideas, I would really apprieate it. I dont want to go to too much trouble, I dont want to kill their natural taste, but to give it a Boost and a bit of ooomph, will be great.
:cool:Thanks to anyone that can help and give me new ideas.
Talk to you all again soon. Ta Ta Guys 4 now.

I was wondering if there were any other Aussies on this site! :)
Kangeroo is pretty common here, but crocodile? Seriously, did you catch it yourself? :-p

Blackened Alligator Steaks

No reason why this'n wouldn't work for croc meat..........

Bayou Alligator Steaks
4 servings

4 (6-8 oz.) Alligator steaks, (cut from the tail)
4 TBL butter (melted), divided
1 tsp salt
2 TBL paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried coriander
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet or into a shallow baking dish or pie plate.
Brush both sides of steaks with half the melted butter. Coat both sides of each steak by dipping into seasoning mix.
heat(over high heat) a large, cast iron skillet for 4-5 minutes. Place steaks in pan and sear for 2 minutes; turn, brush tops with remaining butter, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
Finish in a moderate oven for5 to 7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steaks.
(For thinner steaks, this step is not necessary)

the family had four different "exotic meat" dishes, which i talked about in another thread; Buffalo steak, 'gator steak, Ostrich drumstick, and kangaroo medallions..............the 'roo was voted the best of the lot.
LT

I have never cooked Kangaroo myself. Have had some really good meals with Kangaroo but also some really ordinary ones. My dad cooks Kangaroo steaks occassionally, which I really like....will have to find out what he marinades them in!

Have you ever tried grinding the croc and making croquettes, as you would for crab or salmon?
I have eaten what they call "gator balls" at several restaurants in Florida, and they are very good...kind of remind me of conch fritters. Delicious with a good cocktail sauce.

I got a marinated rolled mini roast of kangaroo at Coles last week. It had been marinated in herbs and garlic and was very tender when cooked in the oven. If I didn't know it was roo I would have sworn it was a good quality beef but I couldn't get the thought of it being kangaroo out of my head so I only managed to eat half of mine. Dh and 6yr old polished all theirs off though. When we lived in Darwin you could get many differents cuts of croc, camel, buffalo, emu and kangaroo in the supermarket.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who gave their ideas to the Roo and Croc question. I am glad to see other Aussies ARE ON THIS WEBSITE, thats because it is so informative and we get to say Hi to other people who love cooking as much as we do, getting new ideas from other people around the world is sooo much fun,I love trying any and all of them if I could and when I can,Im glad to see other people like ROO as well as me, it is a nice meat,just a different taste, thats all, no meat tastes the same,so why should Roo,and Yes our CROC is very similar if not the same as your GATOR,
taste wise I mean, I made a great marinade for my Croc,it tasted beautiful, and It was just a experimental one, I just used White Wine,Lemon Juice,Garlic(quite a bit of that),a little Olive Oil.marinate for about an hour,no more than that, then cook in a fry pan on medium heat until sealed on both sides, ( using butter of coarse ) then turn the heat down to med/low, cover and simmer for about 20 mins or until cooked through, but not long as it may toughen if cooked to long,then take Croc out and keep warm and reduce sauce until thickened,then pour over croc,serve with vegies or salad, absolutely delish. So any one who may not like eating different foods, try them a new way,experiment with what you know, you may be surprised, I was. Ok see you all soon, and Thanks.

Turtle Sauce Picante

from our friends in the Atchafalya Basin of Louisiana..........

3-4 lbs turtle meat (so use the roo or croc instead)
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper
two 8-oz cans tomato sauce
one 6 oz can tomato paste
one 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes (available in OZ?)
salt and pepper
roux

Make a roux (one cup cooking oil and one cup flour). Stir constantly on medium heat, don't burn it. When it turns brown, add the onion and pepper. Keep stirring. Add the tomatoes, keep stirring, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add 15-16 cups of water. Cook this sauce for about 4 hours. (drink a few beers - mudbug). The longer it cooks the better. Add more water if you need to.

Brown the turtle meat (roo, croc) and add it to the sauce after if has cooked for at least a couple of hours. cook until meat is good and tender, then serve over rice.

Thanks MudBug, that sounds so delish, Next time I get Roo or Croc, I will definately give this one a go, Ive never tried Turtle though, what is it like, It is another different thing that I must try,.
Thanks once again, Spiritwolf.

G'day, Spirit. Turtle meat is a dark, tender, tangy meat in my experience.

If you can't find it, at least you've got a nice sauce for whatever beast you're cooking.

mudbug said:
G'day, Spirit. Turtle meat is a dark, tender, tangy meat in my experience.

If you can't find it, at least you've got a nice sauce for whatever beast you're cooking.

Oh, I do enjoy me a good Sauce Piquant! I am also reminded of a nice turtle soup with a wee bit of Sherry...I do think the "roo" would be better served up on the "barbie":ermm: however.

Have had gator meat, both the ribs and as nuggets (yep, made just like the stuff sold at Mickey D's).

Was kinda bland and uninteresting. We could have easily bought gator meat ourselves when we lived in FL, but didn't.

Was just wondering if one could make croc/gator meat with a Buffalo wing recipe.

Seems like ti might work, but if it would be any better than good old chicken wings I have no idea. But one could always call them croc wings I guess and start a whole new food fad in Australia.

Course would probably call them Sydney wings, or Adelaide wings, or Canberra wings, something like that.

Just a random thought.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies, Uncle Bob, I love your Turtle soup with Sherry idea, I LOVE SHERRY, it sounds very different and delish, hopefully I will get the chance to try it someday. Also I must say my favourite way to cook Roo at the moment is the "Good ol' Barbie" we do just about everything on the BBQ, you cant beat that taste, YUMMMM, I also love marinating it in a Smokey BBQ marinade, I forget the name of it, but I know it tastes great and that smell , you will never forget the smell or the taste, it is soooo good, once tried,you will always go back for more, it will become a favourite way of cooking. Now I remember the name, Its Smokey Hickory, I love it. I knew I would think of it sooner or later.
Ok thanks everyone, will talk again soon, see ya!
Love Spiritwolf.

Back
Top Bottom