Shower Doors or Shower Curtain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Girl

Senior Cook
I'm getting my bathroom remodeled with a smooth acrylic unit that goes over the entire tub & shower and will not get moldy. Tile grout is a pain!

The estimator said I could save about $475.00 by not getting shower doors and having a rod and curtain instead. I had shower curtains many years ago that were made out of a plastic that would crack, tear and get scratchy, and then CLING to you, and get moldy. How much do the better clothlike ones cost and how often do they need to be replaced? Is it a pain changing the curtains with those loop things (never did it - ex-hubby did)?

I'm trying to find out which most people prefer, shower doors or the curtain, even if you took the initial cost out of the equation. What's less trouble and easiest to keep clean? Thanks for the help.

We had glass shower doors in both bathrooms but did not replace them when we redid the bathrooms. I use shower curtains with a liner and if I don't want to reuse it, just toss it and get another liner. My dd just built a new house and had her master bath designed to need neither. I like that idea, but couldn't have used it in our renovation.

IMO, go with the doors. I have had both, and wish I had doors now. With the cutain and liner setup, I have to remove them to clean them effectively, and have to replace fairly often. When I had shower doors, I just cleaned them in situ, and done.

Vegas Girl said:
I'm getting my bathroom remodeled with a smooth acrylic unit that goes over the entire tub & shower and will not get moldy. Tile grout is a pain!

I'm trying to find out which most people prefer, shower doors or the curtain, even if you took the initial cost out of the equation. What's less trouble and easiest to keep clean? Thanks for the help.
I agree. Keeping up with tile grout is a pain in the you know what?

As for doors vs. curtain, I've had both and much prefer curtains. Cleaning the track of the shower doors was as much of a pain as cleaning grout.

We currently have a shower curtain and have had it for nearly 12 years. It's an anti-mildew curtain. When I bought it I thought it was a bit pricey at about $15, but it has been perfect. We live in a very hot, humid area of the country and our house isn't air-conditioned, so the conditions are ripe for mildew. I've never had the curtain mildew.

Just to be certain, I make it a point to wash it about once a month during the summer. I simply toss it in with a batch of towels and it comes out perfectly.

It hasn't cracked and it doesn't stick to me when I'm showering. It's white and I have put a decorative cloth curtain over it, on the room side, to match the decor of my bathroom.

We'll be remodeling our house in the future and will have to redo 2 bathrooms completely. No shower doors are in our plans.

Another thing to consider with the doors is that getting in and out of the shower is a little more difficult with the tub area somewhat obstructed along half its length. That's something to think about if you will have someone who has a physical problem. For me, my mother-in-law comes to mind.

Last edited:
Doors over curtains every time. I cannot stand the billowing, clinging curtains.

Also, $475 seems a lot for a door, installed.

If you go with the door, scrubbing bubbles is your friend.

We are moving to a new flat sometime next year, which we will completely remodel (thus who knows when we actually get to move in... though Cris will get it in his possession either at the end of the year or the beginning of the year....)
We will definitely install a door. We are getting sick of yucky mouldy build up on the curtain and the side of the tub behind the curtain that keeps coming back no matter what we do.

Wow! I'm truly amazed. What kind of "possessed" shower curtains have you guys had? I've never had one cling to me and I wasn't born yesterday. Never heard of that problem before. I'll have to ask my friends about it.

We remodeled our bathrooms last year, and instead of replacing the shower doors, bought the same curved stainless rods that are in a lot of the hotels, now days. We installed curtains with liners, and just love them.

I have one bathroom with doors and the other has a rod and cloth curtain with a liner. No problem with the clining. One hint we picked up from somewhere is to ucut off the hem of the plastic liner, thus avoiding the grimy stuff that accumulates on the bottom of the curtain. Oh yes, always have them stretched across the rod. Don't leave them pulled back when they are wet.

Love the curved rod idea. Where did you get yours Walt?

I vote shower curtain.....fabric though. I've had those glass doors in other homes I'd lived in and couldn't stand them. A total pain in the rear to clean. Besides a shower curtain is just so simple to throw into the washer on gentle cycle and the same for the dryer. I replace my liner every couple of months.....their so cheap its worth....I never have a mildew problem. Besides I think the color of the shower curtain really brightens a bathroom. Its so easy to change the decor of a bathroom by getting a different shower curtain and a few accessories. For my last one I spent a lot of time finding one I absolutely fell in love with and finally found it at WalMart and paid $24.97....its absolutely gorgeous and I get tons of complements on it. Kick myself for not getting 2 as I plan on keeping this one as long as I can.

We had them in our hotel room in California, and I saw them in the shopping mag. on the flight back.
We bought two right away (then I took almost a year getting around to doing the bathrooms - you're so busy, when you are retired!):LOL:

I just checked google, and they are now all over the place. Just google "curved shower rod".
Here's one:
http://www.smarthome.com/9147s.html

Be sure to get stainless steel.

Also, it takes two to install them.

Katie E said:
Cleaning the track of the shower doors was as much of a pain as cleaning grout.
They now make trackless doors that install on the wall. They look so much better and there is no track to clean or get dirty.

We just re-did one of our bathrooms, but only found out about the trackless doors after we were done. At some point we may put it in as they look so much better than the curtains.

GB said:
They now make trackless doors that install on the wall. They look so much better and there is no track to clean or get dirty.

We just re-did one of our bathrooms, but only found out about the trackless doors after we were done. At some point we may put it in as they look so much better than the curtains.

That's what we have GB.
They are very nice... not having those tracks to clean is wonderful.
We just have a shower though. Can you have them if the shower and tub are connected?:)

Vegas Girl I have never had shower curtains in my bathrooms. I have clear glass in both bathrooms and I really like them.

When they were installed the man said to get a can of wax and put it on both sides of the shower doors and once you see the coating then wipe it off with a soft cloth. Now the water comes off so easy and cleaning them is a breeze.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom