Deep frying a brined turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael terry

Assistant Cook
I'm going to do a deep fried turkey this year and would like to know if you can brine it before cookin

Welcome to the site!

Yes you sure can brine it before you deep fry it. Just be sure it is completely dry before putting it in the hot oil.

Be sure to read the label of the turkey you are planning on fixing. Many are already basically "brined".

My friend's dad and step mom invited me over for thanksgiving, to thank me for taking my friend in.
They made deep fried turkey.
It was very good.
I hope you enjoy that.

Also had sweet potatoes, yams, and squash for the first time there too.

I would add that I'm not sure brining a turkey for frying is even necessary. Of course, this comes from one who does not like brined poultry at all and doesn't do it. ;o)
But I think the end result of a fried turkey is so different from a roast turkey that the added labor of brining might not be needed. And I think a fried turkey needs to be eaten IMMEDiately. At least ones I have had.

Yep - you can brine it first. As has been mentioned - rinse and dry it well before dunking into the hot oil to cook.

Brined or not - don't just plunge it into the hot oil - unless you like disasters. Lower it SLOWLY into the oil (about 1/4 of the way at a time - and wait a minute before proceeding) and be ready to pull it back up if the oil bubbles up too much (looks like it will "boil over").

Since the internal temp of a fried turkey should be the same as a roasted, baked or boiled turkey (otherwise it's not fully cooked) - I can't see why one would need to be eaten anymore immediately when cooked by one method than the others. But if Gretchen knows something I don't - I would love to be educated.

I think deep fried turkey tends to dry out more than others. Just offering my opinion as others do. Personally, I think all turkey, fried or roasted, benefits from being served right away.

Personally, I love turkey the next day as a cold sandwich. If the turkey was cooked right then I never find it to be drier than when it was first served.

Also if it is brined then there is a lot less chance of it being dry.

A cold sandwich--ah, yes--but a whole different meal. And of course, still moist and flavorful when done right the day before. But the warm juicy goodness of the Thanksgiving table was my thought process. I haven't fried a brined turkey but since the ones I have tasted have been the pre-brined type, I thought it a bit dry.
And I would have to brag on my unbrined turkey--or at least my tablemates do each year-- for moistness. 24# helps too. Too big for a fryer.
I know I am 'way in the minority about brining--but there are a few of us out here that prefer it. ;o)

To each their own. There is no right or wrong way as far as I am concerned. I love them brined and I also love then un-brined. As long as they are cooked right, they are delicious.

This may be a good time to drag out my annual reminder on deep frying turkeys...

1) Don't do it in a garage, or under any low hanging structures... (The burners need adequate ventilation, and if something DOES go worng, prevents the flames from hitting another structure)

2) The single most important item to have on hand while frying is... A Fire Extinguisher!

To all who are deep frying this holiday season, have fun, be safe, and enjoy!

John

ronjohn55 said:
This may be a good time to drag out my annual reminder on deep frying turkeys...

1) Don't do it in a garage, or under any low hanging structures... (The burners need adequate ventilation, and if something DOES go worng, prevents the flames from hitting another structure)

2) The single most important item to have on hand while frying is... A Fire Extinguisher!

To all who are deep frying this holiday season, have fun, be safe, and enjoy!

John

GOOD TIPS

A fire extinguisher that can be used on oil!!

And make sure you don't try it in your kitchen. Don't laugh, people have tried this.:ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom