Protection from knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
I've probably put this in the wrong section, but not really sure where it goes. FORUM GODS, you can move it if you like.

My daughter does prep work in a kitchen, and wears a glove on her left hand as a little extra protection so she doesn't cut her hand. Any idea what this glove is called? Where I can find it? I was thinking of getting some for the house, so she can help more in the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES!!! That white one for $12.95. Needless to say, she'll only be getting one at a time!!! LoL Thanks GB!!! I never even thought of Oyster Shucking Gloves. Kinda clues you in to the fact that I've never shucked an oyster, huh? But yes, that's exactly what the glove looks like. Has metal in it, I washed the one she did have by hand, can it be thrown in the washer?

Oh I am so glad that is what you were looking for.

I am not really sure if it can go in the washer though. Maybe someone else will be able to give you better info on that part.

Alot of corporate companies are starting to use the glove in order to prevent minor cuts, and workmen's comp claims.

It is the same gloves butchers have used for years. It does provide protection, to a point, but hinders the feeling of holding the product, and knife guidance. Just my opinion.

oh, and they are machine washable.

Last edited:
At work, we just call them 'cutting gloves'....and my entire staff has at least one (two for the people who regularly use the slicer). I've seen them in Chef Central.

These gloves come in degrees of safety protection. Some are actually very fine mesh metal and will offer maximum protection, while others are only good for the slightest nicks. No glove is absolute protection against knife cuts without good knife skills. (the previous was a public service announcement...I'd hate to see people consider themselves invulnerable because they were wearing gloves).

The gloves can be laundered and should be every couple of days. Also, the glove should be covered with a vinyl or latex glove to keep it clean. The glove is worn on the hand that holds the food, not the hand that holds the knife.

Personally, I don't care for them, but Human Resources insists anyone who uses a knife wear one. I don't like the way they can hinder my movements. Having said that, they are better than nothing, especially considering that companies don't always hire the person with the best knife skills, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I have Kevlar glove that I've had for several years. I like it and have not found it restrictive in any way. I use it most of the time when I'm using my mandoline. It gives me an extra degree of protection. It's machine washable and is made to fit on either hand. I bought mine from a restaurant supply store. I don't recall how much I paid for it, but I don't think it was too costly. Regardless, it was certainly cheaper than a trip to the doc for stitches.

I've only used a mesh glove - like the $89.00 glove down from the white glove in GB's link. I felt VERY safe wearing that glove! lol

The kevlar url got changed :) I'll check later and see if they still have it on the website. :)

You guys are the best, I'm glad I'm a member of this forum!!!

LOL I'm afraid of mandolin, glove would make ME feel more confident too. :)

DH and I each have one. It certainly helps when using the mandoline and when I've got the Cutco razor sharps out. Most of the time for daily stuff I don't use it but when the mandoline comes out it's on my hand. I ordered them online but can't remember where.

After I'm done with it I lather it up and rinse just like washing my hands really good and hang it to dry.

Some of the scariest moments are missed by me...but I get to hear all about them when someone from my staff requests a new glove. I always give out new gloves every 3 months or so. I'll give them out sooner if they request a new glove...and show me the old glove. Usually it has a big chop taken off the index finger tip:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:. (after you wear them and wash them a few times the fit loosens up a bit).

Like I mentioned, they'll protect you to a degree, but they can be cut, just as well. Be careful!

buddy of mine with a left hook never cuts himself. has his squeeze down and never crushes a tomato either.

Hm, maybe i should get one. My knives are razor blade sharp. And this kind of glove might be just a thing to have.

HEHEHE :) wonder if they keep you warm on a really cold day? lol To me, the one that my daughter had didn't seem like it would protect much.
But she never came home with a finger chopped off, either.

Back
Top Bottom