Calabaza en Tacha - Mexican Day of the Dead Traditional Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookmex

Washing Up
In Mexico, many people celebrate the "Day of the Dead" on November 1st and 2nd (Nov. 1 for children and Nov. 2 for adults).

Here's a traditional recipe made for the Mexican Day of the Dead. It's called candied pumpkin and it's very sweet and yummy. This dish might be eaten at the graveside of a loved one who has passed on. The belief is that on one day of the year, deceased loved one come back in spirit to reunite with family and to partake of the joys of life as they dead when they were alive.

Calabaza en Tacha - Candied Pumpkin

1 small pumpkin (about 5 lbs)
6 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup of orange juice
4 cups water
5 cups dark brown sugar

Cut the pumpkin into large chunks (about 2 inches square). No need to peel it but you can if you like.

Remove the seeds and strings from the pumpkin cubes. With a sharp knife make diamond designs over the pulp of the pumpkin to allow the sugar syrup to penetrate.

Put the sugar in a pan with the cinnamon sticks, orange juice, and water. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved.

Place the first layer of pumpkin pieces in the pan with the sugar syrup, pulp side down so they absorb as much juice as possible. The second layer should be with the pulp turned upwards.

Cover and simmer until the tops of the pumpkin pieces look somewhat glazed, and the pumpkin is soft and golden brown.

Let cool at least 2 hours before serving (chilled is better). Top with cream if you like.

Enjoy!

Linda

removed solicitation links

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks interesting, Linda!

About how long would you say it takes at the boil? I would like to try it.

Lee

I remember this from when I was a kid going up by the border!!!!! Friends that went to school with us would bring it to school and share. Their parents were fun, they loved to have their children's friends come over and then have tortilla making contests!!!!!

How long to boil - answer

Lee

I simmer my pumpkin for about an hour. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, depending on how much liquid the pumpkin releases - some are dryer than others.

Keep simmering until the glaze thicken and clings to the pumpkin instead of just running right off. Plan on an hour and go from there - check it about every 10 minutes after the first 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.

Linda
removed solicitation link

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom