ISO Recipe for Corn Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stinker

Cook
Does anyone have a recipe for making the batter for corn dogs? Also wondering if you can use a pancake type batter for making them. Thanks

Stinker,
I don't have a recipe at hand, but will look and see what I can fine. I do believe the batter is made from a fine or med grind cornmeal.
kadesma:)

As far as Corn Dog recipies I found this linked in another corn dog post. The post recommended the "Pronto Pups" version (46 reviews and 5 stars when I looked.)

There's also the Good Eats: Man Food version from Food Network.

I'm going to try a sort of fusion between the two.

Right now the plan is to keep equal portions of corn meal and flour, and use buttermilk as in the Good Eats version, and use sugar and an egg as in the Pups version. Measurements and results to follow.

1 + 1/3 cups Corn meal (mine was self-rising)
1 + 1/3 cups Flour (All purpose)
2 tsp. Baking Powder (double acting)
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda.
1/3 cup Sugar
1 whole Egg
2 cups Buttermilk (produces a thick coating, use more liquid for thinner coating)

Pat dry Hot-dogs (or whatever) with a paper towel (or whatever) and roll in corn starch till lightly coated. Dip in batter and deep fry for about 3 minutes.

I used "bun-length" smoked sausages cut into thirds (small countertop electric fryer... it would just barely fit a whole hotdog on it's side, and won't immerse one vertically), dipped in batter and dropped in the fryer (no sticks). Gotta keep an eye on them cause they tend to float with one side up. Just knock it around until it either floats the other way up for a while or till evenly golden brown.

This recipe is not as sweet as some I've had (considering adding a tablespoon or three of honey to the mix) but I found it good nonetheless.

Last edited:
Uncle Bob said:
Try "Jiffy Mix' corbread mix. Follow the directions on the box. Available at your local grocery!

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Jiffy cornbread mix has instructions for making corn dogs on the box?

Caine said:
Jiffy cornbread mix has instructions for making corn dogs on the box?

Surely you jest!! The question was for a corn dog "batter" Make the Jiffy Mix per iinstructions on the box and you have... Voila!.. batter!

Enjoy!

I tried my first corndog last year. I enjoyed it but tried the frozen variety at home. Not so good, not so bad.

Question: do corndogs Have to be sweet?

is there a sort where the basic idea is the same but maybe a little Salt and Chili powder or whatever is used instead?

Uncle Bob said:
Surely you jest!! The question was for a corn dog "batter" Make the Jiffy Mix per iinstructions on the box and you have... Voila!.. batter!

Enjoy!

Well, in THAT case, I'd use the Marie Callender's corn bread mix, the one with the jalopy peppers in it! :furious:

YT2095 said:
Question: do corndogs Have to be sweet?

John I don't think there is a "Corndog" police out there that requires them to be sweet. Just tradition maybe? A weiner covered in a cornbread (like) batter and deep fried. Ya might wanna try a small sausage covered with a pancake batter. I never have but the idea is interesting. A cornbread batter sans sugar with chili powder etc. could make for an interesting savory rendition.

Have fun & Enjoy

cool, and thanks :)

I was planning on doing the same minus the sugar, but with a little salt and chili powder, maybe a little turmeric and fenugreek leaves (dried and crushed), I think a few drops of liquid smoke in the batter mix maybe good too :)
I have German frankfurters here and bockworst (same as hot dogs really) but I though maybe some english Tomato sausage would be neat to try also.

I don`t have a "sweet tooth" at all ya see, except in black coffee and maybe Skittles :)

Make sure whatever sausage you use is already cooked. Hot dogs and some sausage is sold fully cooked. I don't think an uncooked sausage would cook through by the time the batter cooked.

I have had the commercial version of the 'pancake covered sausage on a stick' so I know it's possible, but I've never tried to do it myself. I'm of two minds about them, as I love pancakes and sausage... but I usually don't like syrup on my sausage...

I'm also thinking that they might use a different cooking method (maybe) than deep frying for the breakfast version. Deep fried pancake batter? Sounds like a grease sponge, but I guess I could be wrong. Also the sausage is probably fully cooked before being dipped, as that seems to me the only way of getting it done without overdoing the coating trying to get the interior to temperature.

As far as corn dog battter being sweet, I also believe it's a tradition, but I don't know the source. I like both varieties of corn bread, but I prefer a sweet (but not too sweet) breading on my corndog. The batter I had was nicely sweet before it was cooked but seemed to lose it's sweetness after the hot oil bath (you get dipped in hot oil and see how sweet you are when you come out...).

I'll have to try this again someday and do the add of honey. Too bad the recipe doesn't divide evenly easily... I don't have enough people to cook for to do the experimentation I would need to actually get it down perfect quickly (and yes, even I can eat 'too many' corn dogs in a day, even if it does take me longer than most).

Andy M. said:
Make sure whatever sausage you use is already cooked. Hot dogs and some sausage is sold fully cooked. I don't think an uncooked sausage would cook through by the time the batter cooked.

Excellent point!!!!!!!!:chef:

Be inventive add some fine minced green onion, hot pepper sauce and call them fire cracker dogs , try different kinds of mustard on them, I once had to make a bunch for a birthday party , and added a lot of things just to mix it up, u might add a little chedder cheese to the batter shredded of course.
You could use a Hush puppy batter that works good as well, keep moving on

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions for the corn dog recipe. Occassionally, I get a craving for one. Love the ones the Sonic makes but since we don't have a Sonic here in B.C., I thought about trying to make them myself. I wish we did have Jiffy cornbread mix here, Uncle Bob. Oh well, will make do with what we do have. LOL Will let you know how this turns out. Thanks again everyone.

i just this weekend bought a corn dog kit that comes with the
sticks and batter .. it was 2 bucks at big lots ..

Stinker said:
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions for the corn dog recipe. Occassionally, I get a craving for one. Love the ones the Sonic makes but since we don't have a Sonic here in B.C., I thought about trying to make them myself. I wish we did have Jiffy cornbread mix here, Uncle Bob. Oh well, will make do with what we do have. LOL Will let you know how this turns out. Thanks again everyone.

Welcome to the Chelsea Milling Company - Home of "JIFFY" Mixes!

This may help

Back
Top Bottom