Just scrape off the top layer.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Friday afternoon I rushed home from work, getting in about 3:45pm. I was planning to make a triple layer cheesecake for the weekend. The cake has lots of cream cheese and sour cream, and a bit of calibut semi sweet for the chocolate layer. Then, I start running around with the rest of the laundry, put fresh linens on the bed, vacuum the living room and with 10 minutes of baking time left, all I had to do was put the last layer on the cake, sour cream with sugar, raise the temp to 450 for 10 minutes and it would be finished.

Just as I was about to do that, Lou came in. Early:ohmy:. I didn't expect him till 6pm, and it was barely 5. I still had work clothes on, still reeked like the kitchen at work.. and for some strange reason, the oven was making the kitchen just a bit smoky.:huh: There was a wind advisory for the weekend, and after apologizing for still beig so unladylike, I pressed him to put all the things into the garage that could become projectiles in the next 24 hours. I also asked him to turn the oven off in 10 minutes and just open the door. I was going to jump into the shower, a much needed diversion.

I wasn't in the shower for 60 seconds when I heard all the windows on the lower level being thrown open. Strange, to be sure, but I just kept on lathering myself, it felt that good:rolleyes:. Maybe he was hot, I told myself. Although, my eyes were stinging, and I didn't recall getting any shampoo or soap in them. Still, I put it out of my mind.

When I got out of the shower, there was a Dark and Stormy cocktail waiting for me on the dresser. Yay for me! Every drink deserves a toast, so I queried what we were drinking to. "To not having to call the fire department to put out the fire in your oven" Lou said matter o' factly. :doh:I pressed him further. Seems that lovely lamb I roasted the week before left more than a heavenly aroma in the house. It left a nice layer of grease at the bottom of the oven. It was smoking as I cooked the cake at 350 but turned down right incendiary at 450:wacko:. He mentioned fire again, and something about the bottom of the cake being licked:dry:. He then proceeded to throw water into the oven. We've since gone over what is correct to throw in the face of a grease flame, but I also appreciated that my 100 year old tinderbox of a house is still standing. Thank you, I'll take a water mess over inferno, anyday.

Lou hoped the cake would be alright. He mentioned that licking again. I was more concerned that he hadn't put the pilots out! I do hate lighting pilots. We didn't get to eat the cake on Friday night. First, we were too buzzed from all the rum and the bottle of wine to have any room left for rich and creamy desserts. Second, it was actually still too warm to cut.

We did get around to having a couple of slices on Saturday night, however. And, through the bourbon, three course dinner, bottle of wine....we were able to detect just the slightest flavour of fire on the top, sour cream layer:(. We looked at each other, and both said at the same time "tastes like fire".

I am happy to report that if you just scrape the top layer off, all you do is waste the sour cream topping, but none of the other creamy deliciousness was affected.

Nothing like a little excitement to get the weekend off to a good start. Have I ever mentioned that some people refer to my home as 1313 Mockingbird Lane?

Oh Vera!!!!!! I live in a 100-year old tinderbox myself - this place wouldn't stand a chance so good job Lou!!!!!!!!!!! Water and all!!!!! I'm jealous!!! I'm not coordinated enough to do housework AND make a cheesecake!!!!!!!! :blush:

Holy cow Vera. Hope the rest of the weekend was less eventful. Lou sounds like a keeper. Levelheaded enough to douse the fire AND to have a drink poured when you got done in the shower. Smart man!

kitchenelf said:
Oh Vera!!!!!! I live in a 100-year old tinderbox myself - this place wouldn't stand a chance so good job Lou!!!!!!!!!!! Water and all!!!!! I'm jealous!!! I'm not coordinated enough to do housework AND make a cheesecake!!!!!!!! :blush:

It's taken years of practice! ahahahahaha

bullseye said:
You had me at ... no fire. I live in an old tinderbox, too...

I also have just about any boquet I ever received hanging somewhere in the house, as well. So, in addition to all the wooden things around, there are dozens of dead and decaying roses scattered about. This place doesn't stand a chance:devilish:

amber said:
You had me at triple layer cheesecake for the weekend :)

I'd be more than happy to share the recipe if you care to have it. The option of burning down the kitchen is yours, of course, and the cake can be successfully completed without the flames:-p

VeraBlue said:
... after apologizing for still being so unladylike ...

Maribel Morgan, move over?! I'll bet he made you a drink! You are The Total Woman reincarnated, VeraBlue. Apologize to the rest of us who you make look like we just stepped off the pages of Taming of The Shrew, but for heaven's sake, not to Lou. You do him proud from what I read!

Just sign me --
An Admirer In Athens

Did somebody mention old and tinderbox??

Count us in, too!! Built in 1919...

John

we had a similar experience last night, vb.

dw decided to make skinless "bbq" chicken in the broiler downstairs (in my kitchen :chef: ), and proceeded to baste the heck out of the bird with sauce.

i was playing in the living room with the wee one, when suddenly she started screaming that there's a fire in the broiler!

as i was trying to step over piles of toys to get to the kitchen, i remarked "of course there's fire in the broiler. that's how the oven gets hot! :-p"

but she didn't laugh. smoke was pouring out of the bottom of the orange glowing oven, and a thick pall was filling the kitchen. she pulled out the blazing tray and was about to throw a glass of water on it, which i deflected and got soaked. :(
i grabbed the fire extinguisher that i keep handy mounted under the sink, but i was able to just put out the little fires in the broiler tray with a wet towel and my hands, and remove the pieces of chicken. apparently, little pools of chicken fat and bbq sauce caught on fire.

by using the towel, i was able to save the chicken.
might have had a funky flavor if i'd used the extinguisher (might have improved her cooking! :cool: ... just kidding. the chicken was deelish).

i spent the next half hour cleaning all of the soot off the front of the oven doors. haveta get to cleaning out the inside soon.

ya know, with claire's post about kitchen disasters in mind, us guys are pretty capable in the kitchen, maybe even moreso with disasters. dw was surprised at how calm i was, and how i thought about how to handle the type of fire, and not destroy the chicken.

so that's my oven fire story.

and vb, i agree with ayrton, for being so lady-like and deftly handling your paramour.

hmm...I did similar last week...
put on the stovetop to re-heat the soup and went to work...
thank god Frank forgot a new towel so he had to fetch one before showering.. he smelled something funny and looked into the kitchen...
I turned of the wrong one and it already softened the plastic of the coffee automat....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom