What are Biscuits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
I am in Australia, and I dont understand what your Biscuits are. In Australia our Biscuits are your Cookies, so what are your biscuits, are they like a Cake, I see them in recipies on here often, but cant quite get the grasp on what they are and what you may use them in, thanks for any help, I am really interested in learning all the different words for everyones cooking terms and foods.:huh::unsure:Thanks everyone that can help, I really apprieate it.

types of dinner rolls, sometimes formed, sometimes "dropped" more free form. flour egg shortening water or milk, baked. (some are yeast raised)

cookies are sweet (desert), crackers are crisp and savory (served with cheese), buiscuits are part of the dinner meal..put butter on them or jam, mop up gravy etc.

It's like a dinner roll, like robo said. They can be "dropped" or they can be cut out. They rise quite a bit. They are softer and a bit creamier than a cake. They're fairly easy to make - make some! They are good with butter and drizzled with honey, or butter and more butter, or jam, or they can be made into a breakfast "sandwich" with a fried egg and cheese, or you can make a milk gravy with sausage and pour over them. All you'll be out is some flour, buttermilk, and a few other things. Try Alton Brown's recipe. I take it you have buttermilk, right?

It's like your shallots are different than our shallots. Years ago when this whole internet thing took off I learned what a capsicum was too! :)

Probably the texture of our biscuit is more like your scone, usually not containing sugar, although some recipes do so. I suppose no other country makes something exactly like our biscuits, although I would think if they once had one, it would be part of their meal often afterward. There aren't a lot of things that aren't even better served with a biscuit.

Licia is right in saying that the texture is very like a scone. My family loves them with any meal, especially for breakfast with a good bacon or sausage milk gravy on them.

Thankyou for this info I have often wondered what biscuits were to Americans. They look exactly like scones to me but i guess they are savoury. Its confusing all the words we have for the same things isn't it? Even in the same country different states have different names for the same foods.

Once more we are one people divided by a common language ... :wacko:

An "American" biscuit is like a scone .... flour, fat, water, an acid and a "chemical" leavener (baking powder and/or baking soda). However, while scones may frequently include things like dried fruits and can be more akin to what we call muffins - biscuits are generally just left plain - to be adorned only by butter, jams, syrups, or gravy.

FYI - many of our ancestors came over here from Ireland, Scotland, England... and they brought the scone recipes with them. Somehow, through time - they became known as biscuits.

A "dinner roll" usually refers to an individually portioned yeast leavened type of bread.

licia said:
I suppose no other country makes something exactly like our biscuits, although I would think if they once had one, it would be part of their meal often afterward...
Yes, one would think so ... and yet, that's not the case! I've made these several times for my Greek extended family, but usually they just baffle them (AND they want bread as well!!). The first time my mother-in-law tried them she must have asked two or three times "are you SURE they're done?" -- this about the butter-drenched, tender interior of some mighty perfect biscuits if I may say so myself!

My immediate family loves them though. Especially under a nice chicken fricasse ... yum!

And by the way? They not savoury ... but they're not sweet either.

Oh! my Mom made the BEST[ biscuits in the whole world! and whenever we had them for dinner , Dad would request the strawberry jam, and we would polish off any remaining for dessert!

I'll post the recipe tonight, if anyone wants it... :)

I'd like to see the recipe ChefJune. I'd like to try making biscuits....it the American milk gravy that baffles me....

Sweet savoury argument I relate to the yorkshire pudding - as good with golden syrup as it is with roast beef. :)

milk gravy

Lulu, can you make a Bechamel (white sauce)? If so, you can make milk gravy.

Brown crumbled sausage in a skillet. When all the pink is gone, reduce heat and sprinkle in enough flour to soak up the grease. Slowly add cold milk, stirring well to get out all the lumps. Continue adding milk till the mixture is fairly thin.
Turn up the heat a little, and cook, stirring, until thickened...just like white sauce. Adjust seasoning and serve. Sometimes I add a pinch of sugar along with S&P.

You can also make it without the sausage, using bacon grease. Then it's exactly like a white sauce, except you're using the bacon grease instead of butter.
A lot of hungry children have gotten their tummies filled with biscuits and bacon grease gravy.

You know, I am going to try it sometime. Maybe this week. I know I had biscuits and gravy when I was younger aand in US, but I just cannot imagine it now.

I don't think biscuits are like scones at all.

Biscuits, to me at least, are much more like dinner rolls. My dad's famous "baking powder biscuits" were 3" high & 3"-4" around, golden brown outside, but hot & buttery soft inside. Nothing like scones at all. In fact, I'm not a scone fan at all - find them way too dry & crumbly for my taste. Give me baking powder biscuits any day!!!

corazon90 said:
Yum. I very well might make some biscuits today. They are sounding good! Don't think I have any buttermilk though.

Corazon, you don't need buttermilk. The biscuits will be slightly different tasting but the texture will be nearly the same. Try using soured milk for the buttermilk. (1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar per 1/2 cup of milk.)

Breezy, that is the way I make my biscuits and the highest compliments I got for them was from my Grandpa and one of his brothers!! They both told me that no one (including my grandmother) could make them as well!!! But my Grandmother did make some awesome jams and jellies!!!

WOW, thanks Guys for all your help, Your Biscuits are certainly like our scones, now that I have seen a piccy of them, thanks to Aurora, you cook them better than I can ever cook our own scones. MrsMac, you are so right, so many names for the same sort of food, no wonder people get confused, but I am glad I am learning so many new terms for all our wonderful food in the world. It also helps my son at school, as he has had a few assignments and projects to do concerning food from all over the world. We certainly do have Buttermilk here Kitchenelf, I will be certain to try your biscuit recipies guys as soon as I get a chance. Once again , A big Thankyou to everyone, It is much apprieated.

BreezyC... I don't know where you've experienced scones - but if they were dry and crumbly - they weren't 'real' scones.:(

Scones have to be eaten REALLY fresh. If they were made before lunch for afternoon tea, IMO they are stale. From the oven to a rack while you make sanwhiches and boil the kettle and fill the teapot, then everything to the plate and the scones are about right. Old scones are dry and crumbly, and horrid. Fresh scones, with proper clotted cream and a good jam.....mmmmmmm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom