Advise Needed: Non Dairy Sauces & Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
I'm new to the non dairy (cow's milk) world and need some advise.

I've been making my sauces and gravies out of soy milk. They've turned out fine, but the sweetness of the soy milk is overpowering. Does anyone have advise on how to combat this--or substitutes to use?

Thank You

I use chicken broth. Also, try rice milk -- some people think it is a bit less sweet.

I like broth best though. Works fine.

I'll try rice milk. As for broth, I'm still not willing to give up on cream & milk sauces. I just need to find the best way to make it work. --Thanks

vyapti, why don't you try cutting the amount of soy milk in half and replace with broth? That way you will get the creaminess you are looking for with less sweetness.

Could you try making gravy like we Brits do? No dairy and a different thing really, but delicious none the less.

lulu, I think Canadian gravy must be like British gravy. I've never had a gravy with cream in it.

You could also try goat yogurt if its only cow's milk that's a problem.

Nondairy coffee creamer works, too, though I am loath to suggest it as a 1:1 sub for milk or cream, as it's not very healthy. Maybe, like Alix says, in combination with broth?

I cook for cow's milk allergy every day and I just use broth. I sometimes sub rice milk in baked goods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom