Saturday 4 November dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Saturday is my favourite day to prepare dinner lately. It's all about what's fresh, what's in season, and what we want.

Tonight I'm making ravioli stuffed with sausge and broccoli rabe (I get them from a place called Taluttos on 9th Street in Philly). I'll make a sauce of butter, fried sage leaves, pancetta and sun dried peppers.

Next, we'll have a salad with boston lettuce topped with dried apricots (reconstituted in port) with ricotta salade cheese crumbled over that.

Dinner will be chicken piccata over polenta with sugar snap peas.

Those cream puffs I posted about earlier this week are going to be made this afternoon for dessert.

I think cocktails will be something with tequila, not sure what. Wine is one of the bottles we have from the Sideways tour...

I hope everyone enjoys the day, it's gorgeous but chilly over here.

thank you vb, same to you. :)

there is a nip in the air this mornin'. i used to love saturdays like this, for playing football or street hockey. you could play all day and never get tired or dehydrated.
unfortunately, i'm stuck at work today, with no windows. :neutral:

tonight, i'm going to make gratinata of veal, with fresh zucchini, rosemary, and sage (the last from the garden.)

dw bought turkey burgers stuffed with spinach and feta, so we may have those as an early meal/late lunch, then eat dinner around 9pm.

i may have to go back up to massachusetts this evening tho. last night, these two mysterious women paid me to park across the street from this house in south grafton at 2am with a pastrami sandwich from katz's deli. she gave me $500 for it!

it was easy money, i just had to sit there for a few minutes, playing a phish cd.

she said she may have me do it again tonight.

Last edited:
a pork roast, trimmed Kenya beans and home grown carrots. I don`t think I`ll bother with any carbs as that leaves more room for extra veg :)

I am the exact opposite to VB today...I've got so much store cupboard stuff to use up. Tonight we are having roast carrots, flagolet beans (a store cupboard tin) and a nice rump steak from next door.....one of the bullocks ate a lot of my parents garden this year, leaning over the fence, so his rump is pay back time, lol.

It was minus four here last night, temperatures dropped quickly this week. so hot food is the order of the day. Plus one of my cats has caught a cold, so I am cooking chicken for her....the vet said to "baby" her, so she is riding around using my jumper as a papoose, so I'll spend more time cooking for her than us, lol.

Yes its chilly but stunning here today, its early afternoon and we still have frost on the ground.

Nothing goes together, :wacko: grilled marinated pork sirloin chops, fettucine alfredo, spicey shrimp (that I didn't fix last night) and crusty bread. Making a chocolate cake w/cream cheese frosting. Have a good one !

OK Vera, when you reconstitute your apricots in port do you gently simmer? Are you going to chop them at all? I'm interested in that as I was planning on a different salad for tonight but I might incorporate that into it.

Still undecided on dinner here. Will be checking back for more inspiration later.

Alix said:
OK Vera, when you reconstitute your apricots in port do you gently simmer? Are you going to chop them at all? I'm interested in that as I was planning on a different salad for tonight but I might incorporate that into it.

Still undecided on dinner here. Will be checking back for more inspiration later.

I slice them first, then put them in a bowl with the port and nuke it for about a minute.

I am not sure what I am in the mood for. I have really good at watching what I eat so I can loose weight. My friends want to go out for Sushi and I am thinking about it.

sons 4th b-day party today so we are having hotdogs, fried onions on the side,potatoe chips with dips on the side(french onion & ranch)& chicken strips,pop and a chocolate cake frosted with boiled icing(the light and fluffy kind)have never made this frosting before so hope it is good.My 15year old daughter did the decorating.
Everyones dinners sound sooo good....

babyhuggies said:
sons 4th b-day party today so we are having hotdogs, fried onions on the side,potatoe chips with dips on the side(french onion & ranch)& chicken strips,pop and a chocolate cake frosted with boiled icing(the light and fluffy kind)have never made this frosting before so hope it is good.My 15year old daughter did the decorating.
Everyones dinners sound sooo good....
Happy Birthday to your son :sorcerer:I could eat your dinner any time !!

I was going to do fried boneless skinless chicken breasts, mashed potatoes, & green beans. After I got the chicken fried, I decided to cook some spaghetti noodles & layer those & the chicken with spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, grated mozzerella cheese, then bake it until the cheese was all gooey. It was really good!

Tonight I made a favorite autumn/winter meal adapted from a recipe from Martha Stewart's "Quick Cook" cookbook.

Essentially - marinated chicken tenders dredged in sesame-seed seasoned flour, sauteed in extra-virgin olive oil, & served piled into baked acorn squash halves along with several blanched broccoli florets, carrot sticks, & snow pea pods. Chicken tender marinade is reduced a bit & poured over all.

Healthy & delicious!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom