Going to Zurich - not food related

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Going to Zürich - not food related

I didn't post this in the road forum; I hope here is okay. We are seasoned travelers and have lived in Europe long enough to know that you're going to eat wherever catches your fancy at the time. So, this is not about food, but rather what to do.

Anyone been to Zürich? I'm ashamed to say that this will be our first visit to Switzerland. We have a 4 year old. We like to explore the areas that are NOT touristic. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Cool!! Well let's hope Jikoni will see this post... she lives near Geneva and if I remember correctly she knows Zurich fairly well, too. Maybe you want to PM her, too!

I have been there a few times, but I've just stayed a day or two before setting off to Italy.

I looked around and had a few good meals. One trip we went to Lucerne.

Am not sure I can help, but ask ??'s if you like.

velochic I hope you and your family have a great time in Switzerland. I was there many many years ago but I do remember Geneva, Zurich and the beautiful countyside. I really enjoyed their chocolate and cheese.

Thanks all. We're basically wanting to explore non-tourist areas. We like to people watch, and for being only 4, our dd is amazingly patient to sit and have a cocoa and people watch, too. So we're looking for areas of the city where there is a lot of foot traffic (not that there isn't that everywhere in European cities), shops where locals make purchases, and such. We'd like to take a tram or train up a mountain for the views.

We purchased Rick Steve's Switzerland in English, but it is a bit disappointing, which surprises me.

Thanks for the PM TexanFrench.

Head down the Hofbahnstrasse (or whatever the main street is) away from the train station toward the lake, exploring on either side. A trolley goes down the street, if I recall.

Cross over a bridge near the lake to the other side of the river and head back, away from the lake.

We took a short train ride to just past Lucerne and changed to a train/tram that climbed to the top of a mountain, well past the tree line, etc. This was in September and it was cold up there, so I am not sure what their schedule is. It was about a 45 min train trip from Zurich. Will try to getmore info.

Thanks Jennyema. This is something that the Rick Steve's guidebook did not mention. We will ask at the Hauptbahnhof about the trip up the mountain near Lucerne. Do you know the name of it?

Cara - we're flying from Zürich to Istanbul for the holidays. Swiss Air had a really great deal. Do you know this travel service in Germany called "Travel Overland". They have very good deals. Their website is http://www.travel-overland.de/

velochic said:
Cara - we're flying from Zürich to Istanbul for the holidays. Swiss Air had a really great deal. Do you know this travel service in Germany called "Travel Overland". They have very good deals. Their website is http://www.travel-overland.de/

thanks for the links.. I didn't know before and it looks really good ;o)

Velochic, I hope you had(or are having) a good time in Zurich. I only just got back from there yesterday. Didn't see this post until now.

Back
Top Bottom