Frito Pie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey guys, i am going to try a very generic frito pie tonight. recipie as follows:

• 3 cups Fritos corn chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 2-1/2 cups chili (your favorite -- homemade, canned, whatever)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 2 cups of Fritos in a baking dish. Sprinkle half the onion and half the cheese over the Fritos. Pour the chili over the onion and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining Fritos, onion and cheese over the chili.
Bake for 15 or 20 minutes and cheese is bubbly. Serve hot.

my question is...does anyone have any suggestions on how to kick this up a bit? i have never had frito pie b4, and my friend suggested i try this.

just looks a little bland to me...

Two packs of Rolaids and a bottle of Beano as sides should do the trick. Oh, and maybe one of those white paper bags from the back of an airplane seat.

Add jalapenos and at the end squeeze a lime over it and garnish with cilantro and sour cream. Maybe some roasted garlic cloves to add as desired at the table.

thymeless

Sounds pretty gross to me! But having said that, I will say I use crushed fritos in my salmon patties. It's a recipe my mom got back in the 1950's from some womens magazine. Rather than use breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs it called for crushed corn chips. I still do them that way but obviously I don't add salt and her receipe as she wrote it down called for yet another Tbs. of salt :ohmy:

I can post it if anyone wants it. They're actually very tasty and a good way to use canned salmon or even canned mackerel.

Fraidy

My son calls this the 'white trash' dip. Please, I hope no one is offended by that, he's just a college kid. :LOL:

He likes it with cream cheese in it, as well. The cream cheese goes on the bottom, then the chili, then the cheese, then the chopped green onions.

Some diced red onions on top of the chili would spark it at bit, as would jalepenos.

I'd treat it like a taco salad.....with the fritos being your taco shell and the chili being your taco meat.....

I'd add tomatoes, jalapenos, scallions, sour cream and black olives

SizzlininIN said:
I'd treat it like a taco salad.....with the fritos being your taco shell and the chili being your taco meat.....

I'd add tomatoes, jalapenos, scallions, sour cream and black olives

Yep, treat it like a taco salad (or nachos), and put some good toppings on it, as Sizzlin suggested above. Add avocado, too!

Lee

What fun! Yes, did it quite a bit when travelling the western part of the country. You kick it up by asking for extra peppers or hot sauce.

Frito Pie or Chip-N-Chili pie is what my family calls this recipe is my favorite. It is a great comfort food because of the fond memories of making it with my mom. Instead of green chilies you could use diced jalapenos to spice it up. I have included our family recipe below.

Chip-N-Chili Pie

1 tablespoons butter, melted
1 white onion, chopped
1 green onion bunch, chopped
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
5 cups regular size Fritos corn chips
1 (40 oz.) can chili with beans
2 ½ cups shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Butter or spray with cooking spray a 2 quart baking dish. Sauté white onion in butter until clear. Remove from heat and stir in green onion and chilies. Crush 4 cups Fritos, coarsely, to make 2 ½ cups. Crush and reserve the 5th cup. Line bottom of dish with half of the crushed chips. Carefully, spread half of the chili over the chips. Layer half of the cheese, press down slightly, and half of the onion/green chile mixture. Repeat layers. Garnish with the reserved cup of crushed Fritos. Bake 20-25 minutes. Serves 6 -8.

The "original" Frito-Chili pie was concession-stand food ... made from ingredients readily at hand ... an individual 10-cent bag of original size Fritos (slit down the side with a knife), 3-6 tablespoons hot-dog chili sauce (you generally got more chili sauce late in the 4th quarter or 9th inning), a heaping tablespoon of diced onion, and some grated cheddar. Basically - it was just chili-dog toppings poured over Fritos. These were popular at high-school and professional sporting events until someone came up the idea of "gloppy cheese flavored stuff thinned out so it could be dispensed from a fountain pump over tortilla chips and called them Nachos" at a Texas Rangers baseball game (seems like it was 1978-1985 but I would have to go check to be able to be accurate about the date - but that's where the concession-stand "Nacho" craze got started).

The recipe to layer and bake - that is just going to make the Fritos soggy - and was probably an invention of someone entering a "casserole" cooking contest- being judged by equally clueless people. You need the contrast in textures ...

Get a bag of original size (small) Fritos - put a handfull in a bowl, then top with:

Your choice of chili/chili sauce (with or without beans)
Diced onions
Grated cheddar

Optional additional embelishments might include:
Diced tomatoes
Sliced/diced Japaleno peppers
Sliced black olives
Sour Cream

The frito pie that Michael describes is the one I remember from my younger days. (Bag of chips with stuff added to it.) Not exactly gourmet, but good to share with friends at the game when you are a bit hungry and quite broke.

The plate of nacho-fritos he describes seems to be most popular in places where they expect to sell a lot of beer.

Both generally involve football--either live, or on a big-screen TV--with lots of buddies. (And every Texan knows that football is just about the most important thing in the whole world! Nobody wants to be distracted with food that grabs your attention.)

My kids are going to love this...

to kick it up a notch ( Hey! Who said that?:LOL: ), I'd add a good portion of chilpotle chiles in adobo. Or some pickled jalapeños.
OR a fresh mixture of tomato, red onion, lime juice, cilantro and thinly sliced raw green chili ( serrano or cayenne).

first thing i'd do is 86 the fritos and fry up some fresh tortilla wedges.
icon12.gif

Boy, this brings back memories - I had almost forgotton how easy & good this concoction can be. Like Michael, I think baking would just make for soggy fritos - There was (is?) a fast food chain around Nashville called Petros & this was their product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom