Bread Pudding-Breakfast or Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sassy

Assistant Cook
This weekend I made a delicious bread pudding and topped w/caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. It tasted alot like a rich french toast. Could I skip the toppings and serve as a breakfast item? Does anyone know the history of bread pudding?

Glad you had a good experience with bread pudding. We love it in our house and I even have a separate section in my recipe file just for bread puddings. Of course, you can serve it for breakfast.

As for the history of the dish, you can Google "history of bread pudding" and come up with lots of great information. It's been around for a VERY long time. You might be surprised how long.

It's a super way to use up stale bread products. You might want to try making some using some old croissants. Wonderful.

I love bread pudding any time of the day... beh, not only bread pudding, anything sweet!! I eat all sorts of sweets for breakfast, cakes, biscuits, pastries, cornettes, tarts, pies etc. etc.... if it works for you, why not??:-p

I also love bread pudding. Sure you could serve it for breakfast/brunch... It's just French Toast in a bowl, after all! :)

I've had/made some pretty good savory ones too, that go very well with roasted and grilled meats instead of potatoes, etc...

Well, noone can pretend its the lowfat/low calorie start to the day but it would be a great breakfast....though that is coming from the woman who has been known to eat chocolate mouse and trifle for breakfast....

It would be especially good as a treat for kids who struggle with a suffiicent intake of milk, or for a "home with a cold' day breakfast, it could be the breakfast alternative to chicken soup.

A nice take is to spread marmalade on the bread or brioche or what ever you are using up, than who would dare say its not breakfast! It would also be a nice addition to a brunch table...

Since my Bread Pudding is prepared with Whisky Sauce, I usually serve it as a dessert.

My marmalade is made with whisky, and its most definitely the way to start the day, lol!

I certainly can do ChefJune, I never wrote it down though, I make it as per any normal course and dark marmalade and a generous "glug", and er, another, and then, well.....you get the picture.....I generally add the whisky while it is approaching setting point....and then a little more to soften the set afterwards too, not much, just I like a soft set and really good dark marmalade tends to set too well for me..

I see no reason why you couldn't serve anything you like for breakfast, lunch or the queen's high tea!

Bread pudding was initially a way of utilizing leftover, stale bread and milk that was about to be lost.

both dessert & breakfast. but why skip the toppings?? and don't forget lunch ans snack time, too. marinated overnight in gin, it makes a great entree for dinner!
icon12.gif

philso said:
both dessert & breakfast. but why skip the toppings?? and don't forget lunch ans snack time, too. marinated overnight in gin, it makes a great entree for dinner!
icon12.gif

I agree, why skip the toppings? What's wrong with ice cream for breakfast? People eat peaches and cream for breakfast...and I know it's sweetened cream..so why not frozen cream?

When I had breakfast at Brennan's during my first trip to New Orleans we had a three course breakfast that began with strawberries and cream and ended with bananas foster, naturally, served with vanilla ice cream!

I think I remember seeing someone making a bread pudding out of Krispy Kreme doughnuts on FoodTV. I have also seen it made with one of those Italian Pannettone fruitcakes, which is about all they are really good for.

VeraBlue said:
I agree, why skip the toppings? What's wrong with ice cream for breakfast? People eat peaches and cream for breakfast...and I know it's sweetened cream..so why not frozen cream?

When I had breakfast at Brennan's during my first trip to New Orleans we had a three course breakfast that began with strawberries and cream and ended with bananas foster, naturally, served with vanilla ice cream!

Well,im not sure if its just me but i'm used to eat/drink hot for morning.It let me feel energised.

Back
Top Bottom