My kid is going to Europe without me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
...and to many places I've always wanted to go: England, Ireland, and Wales.

We only get to pay for it.

But it will be so cool for her.

The little stinker.

LOL - HIDE YOURSELF( and me as well) IN THE SUITCASE!!!!!!! Hope she has a great time - what a great parent you are!!!

She will have a wonderful time Mugbug, truly wonderful. For you to be sending her off at a young age is one of the best things you could do for her. It is so easy to think of our "own" country as 'the' country is a mistake so often made. I took my son a couple of years ago, or he took me:), anyway, I paid. She will have a ripping good time. As we did.

I hope she has a great time. When is she coming? Perhaps you'll come over the pond to visit us yourself sometime Mudbug. :) Seems a shame to miss out Scotland while visiting all the other bits of Great Britain. If she wants any help/info etc be sure to ask.

A wonderful parent indeed, Mudbug. I haven't visited Ireland and Wales yet. Just hope that she doesn't look upon you as an 'ATM' machine!!

I know what you mean, my daughter went to Australia and my son to Hawaii and Italy! We got the fun of paying for it and a few photos! They are both great students and great people so they really deserved the trips! I'm proud of them both.

How can one NOT support sending your kid off to explore something new? I'm just insanely jealous that I don't get to go, too.

This trip is through an outfit called People to People Student Ambassadors, which apparently has been around since the Eisenhower admininstration.

I had never heard of it before until one of daughter's friends nominated her (you have to be nominated by an alumni [daughter's friend], teacher, etc.). She's certainly not going because of her stellar grades or the great leadership qualities she's exhibited, but who cares?

The thing is, this will be an excellent way for her to learn how to navigate a bunch of new people and new places without mommy and daddy there to "interpret" for her.

I have high hopes that she discovers more about herself and how to operate independently in the world, which is beyond price.

Responding to lulu and Ishbel - yes, I would love to be going too and no, I don't know why they are not including Scotland in this itinerary. HH is of partial Scot descent, so this seems so unfair. Their trip is tightly controlled and chaperoned, so the delegation of kids is unlikely to be allowed to venture anywhere much by themselves, but I thank you for your offers of advice and information.

MB
I'm sure she will have a wonderful time. Maybe you could bring her to Scotland in a few years?!!!

My daughter did school exchanges from the age of 12. I gulped when I saw her off at the airport to go to a family in France that we'd never even met... She was going to be away for just over 3 weeks. One week of school lessons and two weeks enjoying the Easter holidays with the family. Her 'swap' came to us at the end of the summer school term - and did exactly the same, one week school lessons, 2 weeks holiday. They formed such a close bond that both sets of parents agreed to swap each year for a couple of weeks. I suspect that's why my daughter took languages as part of her degree... She did the same with a Spanish girl from Barcelona.

Travel really DOES expand the mind.:)

Mudbug, good for you! I know she will have a wonderful time, especially knowing you support her all the way! Isn't there a new supersize suitcase that can hold you?

She WILL have a wonderful time, MB!

My only true "coulda-woulda-shoulda" is that I didn't go teach in Europe after graduation from Northwestern, instead of being so enamored with the idea of getting married.......... so much time for all that stuff later! Ah well.... :ermm:

Its great that is is a structured visit....some kids (17) visited us a couple of summers ago, refused offers of lifts to tourist places and spent their first trip to Europe asleep in bed. If I was one of the mothers I would have had a fit, but we were asked to let them just be.....so they spent a lot of money to sleep in a European bed.

My parents were like you MB. And I went to school in a different country from where they lived, so I got to travel a lot before I went to university. I think when you are young, but independant-ish, is a good time to travel, or established enough to travel in style!

ChefJune said:
instead of being so enamored with the idea of getting married.......... so much time for all that stuff later! Ah well.... :ermm:

(chuckling ruefully) I blew off a solo trip to Hawaii subsidized by my parents for the same reason. That marriage didn't last.

The things we did for love..............

When does she go? Hope she has a good time. Here's a tip that we used to do when we were on vacations both here and abroad...mail postcards back home from the places you/she visits with notes about what was most liked, etc. These are great to read and remember once back from the trip and will make you/her feel likes you're/she's back there all over again. It brings back such wonderful memories. Post them in a scrapbook with any receipts from stores +/or any other little momento's and it turns into a real memory.:)

Help, UK-ers

needed to bump this one up.

In July we are sending the kid to England, Wales, & Ireland with an ATM card, as we've been told that's the easiest way to obtain cash. HH has been researching ATM cards at the local banks and the only bank that will issue a card has loads of fees associated with it. So be it.

What we need to know are the typical UK prices are for things a teenager (going on 16) would want - for example, bag of crisps, a Coke, plate of chips, souvenir T-shirt, etc. in pounds sterling.

Apparently the exchange rate right now is about 2:1, so we want to make sure we give her enough money to enjoy herself without running out of dough at the wrong moment.

We are foolishly hoping she will also purchase some nice remembrances for her doting parents.

thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

'bug, have you asked your bank if their ATM cards work in the UK? Some of the networks must be international. If they don't, maybe they would steer you in the right direction.

yes, HH checked about that, Andy. The one bank (not the one we have our accounts at) said they would issue her an ATM card that's affiliated with the Star system in London. Our own bank won't even let her open any kind of account until she's 18. So it's this other bank (well established in our area) for now unless we find another solution.

We are going to check w/Am. Express as well to see if they have anything useful.

I have worked for several banks and any ATM/Debit card should work overseas. As far as the cash part goes, have you thought of Visa/AmEx gift cards or traveler's cheques? With traveler's checks, there is a way to get the money back for them if they are lost or stolen so you might want to think about that.

If you don't mind me asking, what bank wouldn't let her open a savings account? She should at least be able to open one and and if she is at least 16, she should be able to get an ATM card with that. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom