Potato Croquet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
Ok i have some mashed potatoes left over from dinner and wanted to make potato croquets. Anyone have a recipe they can share with me? I made some a long time ago and cant remember how i did them. :neutral:

Although I haven't made croquettes for many years, in fact since my children were small - this is how I used to do it. Form the mashed potatoes into short, fat cylinders by rolling into a log and cutting into required size pieces. Dip in beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumb. Deep fry.

My Mom was a frugal cook from necessity. She served these quite often. I don't have her exact recipe (I'm not sure she had one!) But this one is very similar.

MASHED POTATO PANCAKE

1 c. mashed potatoes
1/2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper, if desired

Combine ingredients. Form into pancake size patties; fry until golden brown.

I do remember that hers sometimes had diced onion in it.

I hope this helps.
Jim

My mother fixed them the same way, Jayco, the only difference being that she shaped hers into oval logs. I'm glad to see a recipe...she never used one either, and I never could get mine quite right.

Debbie,
if you have any left or type of meat (cooked) pork,chicken,even bacon, dice it then , as my mom use to do add some diced sauteed onions to the potatoes with salt and pepper,and make patties, then put a filling on top of one pattie and top it with a second, then fry in a skillet with butter til golden. She'd serve this with a salad and for my dad buttered bread and a veggie..My sister and I loved them.

kadesma:)

Here's a start for you to play with -

Potato Croquettes
Serving Size : 5

3 medium baking potatoes -- peeled and sliced
1/4 cup shredded low-fat Swiss or cheddar cheese
1/4 cup nonfat cream cheese product
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon nonfat margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared or dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg white -- lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups coarsely crushed corn flakes
vegetable cooking spray

Cook potato in boiling water for 20 minutes, or until tender; drain. Transfer to bowl. Beat potato at medium speed until smooth. Add cheese, and next 6 ingredients. Beat well. Divide mixture into 10 equal portions and shape into balls. Dip in egg white and roll in cereal. Place on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden.

cjs that sounds delish. I'll definately save that one for next time.

so i did them this morning and i tried just rolling the potatoes into balls and dipped in beated egg and then rolled in seasoned bread crumbs & deep fried and then i also tried the recipe above given by jayco. I didnt add as much flour as suggested because it just seemed like alot to me. I did cut down a tad on all the ingredients but left the potatoes the same. I also deep fried these. I really liked the ones rolled in breadcrumbs and i didnt like the other. It seemed more like a soft deep fried bread sort of instead of a potato croquet. Maybe if i had used the other ingredients as a batter and just dipped the rolled potatoes into it and then fried it would have been better but i couldnt even really tell there was potatoes in this one after it was fried. Thanks for the recipes guys, i definately appreciate the help.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about a game using potatoes. You know, like croquet on the lawn using wooden mallets and wooden balls? Whatever.

I, too, make my croquettes using some beaten egg and bread crumbs. Although, I do sometimes add some grated Parmesan cheese and a little minced garlic to the potatoes before shaping them. Then, instead of traditional bread crumbs, I use Panko crumbs. Really yummy and nice and crispy on the outside. These are great with roast beef.

I'm like Katie E. I envisioned a thread about using taters as the croquet balls and bopping them through the hoops around the yard. Kinda like Frisbee golf.

Anyway. When I've got leftover mashed, I flatten it into patties, usually using the types of extras mentioned above (flour, garlic, cheese, onion) and fry the heck out of them. I guess you could do it healthier and bake them, but then that would be no fun when you have potatoes around.

I make patties also with green onions, cheese, egg, salt, pepper, baking powder, and flour. Then I oven fry them on a cookie sheet with a little oil. The kids love them.

carolelaine said:
I make patties also with green onions, cheese, egg, salt, pepper, baking powder, and flour. Then I oven fry them on a cookie sheet with a little oil. The kids love them.

I'm too old to be one of your kids, but would you like to adopt a grandmother?
Those sound great!

Try adding some finely chopped/cooked shrimp to any of the mixtures already mentioned!!!! Crab (real or imitation) would do well too!! I've even used some canned salmon or tuna and had good results.

Left-over mashed potato ...
1) Add a little grated onion and some bacon bits. Form into balls/rissoles/croquettes. Roll in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs, then beaten egg (again) then breadcrumbs (again) Fry for breakfast.
2) Add grated onion, grated cheddar, a little parsley. Same as above with the egg/breadcrumbs.
3) Mix the potato with a tsp of curry powder. Roll into a ball, then flatten into a disc on the palm of your hand. Place a mixture of green peas, raisins, hot pepper and cilantro in the middle. Fold up the edges of your potato "disc" to form a ball again. Dip in batter and deep fry.
To be authentic, your batter should be a mixture of chickpea flour, salt, chili pepper and garam masala. BUT you'll do just fine with a beaten egg, flour and soda/beer!

Ishbel said:
Although I haven't made croquettes for many years, in fact since my children were small - this is how I used to do it. Form the mashed potatoes into short, fat cylinders by rolling into a log and cutting into required size pieces. Dip in beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumb. Deep fry.

This is exactly how my mom used to make them :) I've never tried making them, and in fact forgot about this wonderful dish.

potato cheese roquettes recipe

potato-cheese croquettes

Yield: 16 orders

Ingredients:

4 lbs russet potatoes, diced
6 cups milk
½ lb butter
2 tsp garlic, chopped elephant
½ cups scallions, thin sliced
¾ cup celery, fine dice
½ cup comte cheese, shredded
½ cup asiago, shredded
½ cup cheddar, shredded
4 ea eggs, beaten
2 cups a.p. flour
2 tsp black pepper, med. grind
to taste kosher salt

Method:

1. in a sauce pan, slowly simmer diced potatoes in MILK, stir frequently to AVOID SCORCHING.
2. when potatoes BECOME tender, add butter , then mash
3. stir in remaining ingredients & continue to stir mixture over moderate heat just until the mixture thickens to a soft, paste like consistency. 5-7 minutes
4. remove from the heat, & form by using a pastry bag with a 3/4-inch straight tip. pipe the mixture into long straight lines, then blast chill.
5. cut into 2” logs
6. finish with a standard breading procedure

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom