Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Vegetables (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Keeping Mashed Potatoes Warm (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/keeping-mashed-potatoes-warm-28772.html)

letscook 11-08-2006 04:59 AM

Keeping Mashed Potatoes Warm

Made Dinner - Which included Mashed Potatoes. Supper had to be delayed for about 20 min and thinking how to keep things warm. I placed the bowl of potatoes over a pan of hot water (double boiler) it worked great and they didn't dry out. Just make sure you have them in a bowl that can go on the stove. I had a pyrex bowl that i was whippping them up in and it fit just right in my sauce pan . I filled it half way w water and them put foil over the top.

Nicholas Mosher 11-08-2006 08:56 AM

I butter a piece of parchment, press it down onto the taters, and stick the whole pot in a warm oven. Usually I only make enough for the amount I'm serving, but if there is extra and I have the oven going I do as above.

Reanie525i 11-08-2006 08:56 AM

On family get togethers we put the mashed into a crockpot set on low - then you can leave them in and serve right from the pot ....works great!!!

Constance 11-08-2006 09:54 AM

I always mash my potatoes in the same pan they were cooked in, then set the covered pan on the back of the stove while I make the gravy.
We generally eat buffet style, and the warm foods are set out on the stove-top and surrounding counter space, so things stay fairly warm just from the heat left in the stove.

SizzlininIN 11-08-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letscook
Made Dinner - Which included Mashed Potatoes. Supper had to be delayed for about 20 min and thinking how to keep things warm. I placed the bowl of potatoes over a pan of hot water (double boiler) it worked great and they didn't dry out. Just make sure you have them in a bowl that can go on the stove. I had a pyrex bowl that i was whippping them up in and it fit just right in my sauce pan . I filled it half way w water and them put foil over the top.

I do this too.....saw someone do it on t.v. and thought it was a wonderful idea and it works beautifully.

Snoop Puss 11-08-2006 10:43 AM

If you've already got the oven on, you could bob them in a dish, ruffle up the surface or even sprinkle with cheese and brown them a bit on top, à la cottage pie.

Robo410 11-08-2006 10:47 AM

yup improv a double boiler
or a warm oven covered pot

Barb L. 11-08-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constance
I always mash my potatoes in the same pan they were cooked in, then set the covered pan on the back of the stove while I make the gravy.
We generally eat buffet style, and the warm foods are set out on the stove-top and surrounding counter space, so things stay fairly warm just from the heat left in the stove.

I do the same, or in warm oven!

BreezyCooking 11-08-2006 08:03 PM

I also mash them in the pan the taters were cooked in, then cover the pan & keep it on a low burner. Haven't had a burn or scorch yet, although I do mash mine with a lot of butter, so perhaps all that extra fat helps - lol!!!!