Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   NY Times bread recipe--what FUN (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/ny-times-bread-recipe-what-fun-28893.html)

Gretchen 11-11-2006 06:07 AM

NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

This was in the Times this week and is sweeping other cooking boards. It is a new way to bake a loaf of "artisanal" bread. And it flat out works. I made a beautiful loaf yesterday.
You use a pan to bake it in--a Le Creuset, stockpot, Corningware, cloche (which is what I happened to have).

It does take 2 days to make--one to put together 4 ingredients and the next to let rise and bake. It is NO knead--you just bearly fold the very wet dough over itself twice. The interior of my loaf was airy and "pully" and the crust was formidably crusty!!

Do not undersalt--I did (didn't really measure). And others have mentioned this too. It was delicious with good olive oil, coarse salt and coarse pepper however!! There is a video on the Times site that you may be able to access.

This is kitchenelf:

Due to copyright violation please follow this link to the New York Times No-Knead Bread Recipe. You will have to sign up but there is no fee and it's painless :chef:

boufa06 11-11-2006 06:23 AM

Great recipe, Gretchen. Thanks for posting it!

bethzaring 11-11-2006 07:05 AM

Looks very interesting! Generally I am not into "artisanal" breads, but I will try this recipe.

Gretchen, did you initially oil the bowl for the first step? And specifically, what flour did you use?

Thanks for the recipe!

BreezyCooking 11-11-2006 11:52 AM

Thanks so much for posting that you tried this recipe & that it works!!

I saved it from the Times with the intent of trying it, but there's nothing like a personal recommendation.

Gretchen 11-12-2006 07:20 PM

This is so unbelievably easy it isn't even funny. You follow the directions as given. No oiling no nothing.
I don't make artisanal breads either because --well, they are hard to do.
The loaf that you get looks like the best European bakery!! Crusty, pully, holey.

QSis 11-12-2006 10:26 PM

We'll see, Gretchen. My dough is going through it's 18-hour rise now.

I bought "Rapid Rise" yeast since my store didn't have anything labeled "instant yeast".

I am afraid of yeast - have never been able to make it work, even with a thermometer in the water. And yeast senses my fear.

Though I've never had luck making bread, I am determined to learn. This recipe sounded like one I could "get back on the horse" with.

Thanks for posting it - I will report the outcome.

Lee

kitchenelf 11-12-2006 11:17 PM

I might have to make this bread ahead of time and use it for my Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding at Thanksgiving!!!

Gretchen 11-12-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I might have to make this bread ahead of time and use it for my Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding at Thanksgiving!!!

The taste is a bit "tangy" so it really might complement it nicely.

kitchenelf 11-13-2006 02:25 PM

Thanks Gretchen - I sent you a PM - this answer will suffice!

QSis 11-13-2006 03:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
HO. LY. COW!!!

Gretchen this is fantastic!!!

I just tried a buttered slice of my first successful loaf of bread EVER, and it was unbelievable! Just as you described - DELICIOUS and perfect!

I'm so tickled with myself, with the recipe and with YOU! I sent it to a ton of my friends, many of whom are brilliant cooks and who are probably rolling their eyes at my glee, but I just had to share this with them!

I will have some tonight, with olive oil and seasonings, to go with my taco-less taco salad.

Thank you SO much for posting this!

Lee