Winter Blues Get Together Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How funny Sharon - is this the same soup you make?? I LOVE THIS SOUP. Been making it since you were a twinkle in your mama's eye...

Senator Lodge's Bean Soup
To serve 8 to 10
4 to 5 quarts water
2 cups (1 pound ) dried pea beans
1 large onion, peeled and pierced with 3 whole cloves
4 sprigs fresh parsley and 1medium-sized bay leaf, tied together with kitchen string
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon salt
2 one-pound smoked ham hocks
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/4cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

ooops - sorry, I got us off track here - back to the regularly scheduled.....

Very very close! No onion stuck with cloves, but the chopped onions, 1 chopped carrot, celery. Bay leaf, lots of thyme (my contribution), parsley. I can eat this until I explode. The original had a half a lemon. I dumped it. :rolleyes:

Well, I was going to make a black bean soup...but, it's been a long time since I've made the Lodge soup....what I'm anxious to try is the Cheesy spoon bread... ;)

As I type my onions are slowly softening and getting ready to carmalize for french onion soup...Have all the things I need to do Elf's spoonbread and a salad..It smells good in here already..Now to go check the foccicia sponge and see if it's ready..Can't have thanksgiving with out our foccacia:LOL:

kadesma:)

We're changing from french onion to homemade chicken soup with either dumplings or homemade pasta. Depends on how energetic I am and if the kids will help or not! How energetic I am will also determine whether I make Elfie's spoonbread or go buy a baguette! LOL. I'm lazy. I will however get the apple crisp ready right away.

Forgot to add that I'm making baked apples with cream cheese,walnuts and brownsugar/cinnamon and vanilla ice cream

kadesma said:
As I type my onions are slowly softening and getting ready to carmalize for french onion soup...Have all the things I need to do Elf's spoonbread and a salad..It smells good in here already..Now to go check the foccicia sponge and see if it's ready..Can't have thanksgiving with out our foccacia:LOL:

I'd love to see how you make your foccacia! I'd love to give it a try. I've never made it before.

As far as the soup goes, I'll be making mine tomorrow. I've had a butternut squash sitting on the counter for probably a month. Is it still okay to eat? It's still firm, so I assume it's fine. I might garnish with bacon instead of walnuts.

Last edited:
Corazon, I have a butternut squash from Oct 31st that I am going to try out tomorrow I think. We can die together. LOL.

We had homemade chicken soup with dumplings, crusty buns and a killer coleslaw. We are all too full to eat the apple crisp but we will get to that later. I am completely stuffed.

I raised my glass and thought of all of you tonight. Thanks for making this place so extra special.

Glass held hi, to all of my friends and friends to be at DC,you were in my thought as well as my heart today.
Our supper was festive and filled with fun. Elfs spoon bread went in a flash, I know it will be asked for over and over, Thanks Elf:) We will be getting around to those baked apples in awhile, everyone is stuffed to the eye bulging stage..This was so much fun, even tho, I will still be cooking at midnight:LOL: I'm sauteing the veggies that I use in my stuffed onions, and have to still squeeze the water from the bread so I can add it and the eggs and cheese, then I can have my dessert.
Cora foccacia is so easy, I'll pm you the recipe I use if you would like it.It's a must have around here for holidays and birthdays and any darn time the kinds can talk me into it:LOL:
kadesma

This was fun - hope someone suggests doing this again!

We had -
BlackBean soup (not the best one I've tried, but pretty good)
garnished with: pico de gallo (yum)
Spiced Pork Kebabs (on skewers with Kielbasa, so what's not to love?)

Elf's Spoon Bread - (very good! Husband could have made a meal of just this!)

Apple/Raisin/Toasted Walnut Dumplings - (very good also, used dried cranberries instead of raisins)
Creme Fraiche Ice Cream (This was wonderful! I had leftover heavy cream from a party last weekend, so made some creme fraiche and then went scurrying around to find something to do with it - this ice cream is just great!)

Gourmet's ice cream recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/15371

Again, this was a lot of fun - now my frig is full of leftovers and I can just play for a few days!! ;) Thanks for doing this Alix.

Today is our day. I am making split pea soup with a couple of ham hocks and (probably some grated carrots). Sourdough baguette to accompany - may split it up lengthwise and broil with some cheddar on top. Leftover birthday cherry pie and ice cream for dessert.

Alix - I need your Apple Crisp recipe - what I got via e-mail lacked the dry ingredients. I have done a search and found something that is probably close - (disregard your PM BTW). But I would like to get your exact one.

Thanks - I sure hope you visit today before too long! :chef:

I've got my pie in the oven. I switched things up a bit and changed some stuff. We'll see if it was for better or worse. Butternut squash is all cut up. I had to veto the spoonbread (sorry elf!) for today because it would have required driving into town to shop. I will make it another time though. dh opted for biscuits instead.

LOL on the spoon bread - If I don't make myself get in the kitchen I won't be having it either!!!!!!

My soup is going to be a one-of-a-kind - I had some Spanish chorizo that I won from the Epicurious cooking contest - so I made a soup with some turkey sausage, cut up chorizo, cabbage, kale, carrots, onion, canned tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth mostly but some beef broth and I think that's all - no salt is really needed yet - I'll top it with Parm-Reg shavings. That chorizo is giving it the yummiest smoky flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDITED TO SAY - A miracle happened in my kitchen this evening - I BAKED SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what a miracle it is! Alix's Apple Crisp is in the oven! OOOOO - and I was bad - I made extra topping :blush:

Last edited:
Sitting down with my bowl of soup, apple crisp close by, raising my glass of wine to all my friends on DC

To my old friends,
To my new friends,
...met or not, thank you for being you.

Peace

img_357431_0_d953032ed37f163a15618f1d31d51342.jpg

img_357431_1_18afc87a9360b07fa884f4d3ff4370ee.jpg

Last edited:
Well . . . . the bean soup is simmering away. We had to buy a 6+lb ham (the smallest they had) no one had ham hocks!!!! I think, in lieu of the disaster I made in the galley last night we're shortening this up a bit. Ham and bean soup, either corn bread or biscuits, and chocolate orange cheesecake that didn't make the dinner table last night. Maybe salad. The boat smells so good - and it's a perfect dismal foggy night for soup.

Yum Harborwitch, chocolate orange cheesecake! Must have been delicious.

Our dinner was scrumptious. Usually, when I make an apple pie, I let dh eat it all. He loves apple pie and I'm pretty indifferent, but last night I had a small slice. It was a tasty pie, no wonder dh is such a fan. Not as good as chocolate though. :LOL: I was thinking of all of you last night.

Back
Top Bottom