Too much sage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margomaxine

Assistant Cook
I put too much sage in my stuffing, can anybody out there tell me if there is a cure, I made a huge batch and I sure hate to throw it away. thanks Margo

Margo - I edited your e-mail out - please come back here to see any answers. That's what these forums are for. - kitchenelf, Site Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^+1

Should be pretty easy to stretch out, but then you will have alot more stuffing on your hands. Leftovers will freeze beautifully though.

Have you already added liqiud to it? If not you can freeze part (uncooked as long as no liquid or egg has been added) of it in a good zip type bag and use another time. Just add unseasoned stuffing to the part you do use. Although I have to say that it would take a heck of a lot of sage to be too much for me!!!!!

An E-mail I recieved from Mrs.MargoMAxine:

Are U saying just make more stuffing? PLEASE

my response: No need to be rude. You asked for advice, that is what I tried to give. Sorry if it did not meet your expectations.

***EDIT***just recieved an e-mail saying it was not finished when she sent it. No foul done. I also told her not to be a stranger to the board.

Sorry, Margo!

Last edited:
Margo I suggest that you start all over. You can freeze the stuffing that you have already made and maybe the next time you take it out of the freezer you might be able to add something to get ride of the sage taste.

too much sage in dressing

I made an 8 x 8 pan of dressing and put too much sage in the recipe.
I peeled, cubed, and cooked 4 medium russet potatoes. When they were done, I added 1T. unsalted butter, mashed them with a potato masher then whipped them in my kitchen aid mixer bowl for about 1 minute until there were no lumps. I added the already baked pan of stuffing plus approximately 1/4 c. Organic, low sodium chicken broth and used the paddle attachment to mix.
This mixture proved successful in reducing the strong sage flavor.

I made an 8 x 8 pan of dressing and put too much sage in the recipe.
I peeled, cubed, and cooked 4 medium russet potatoes. When they were done, I added 1T. unsalted butter, mashed them with a potato masher then whipped them in my kitchen aid mixer bowl for about 1 minute until there were no lumps. I added the already baked pan of stuffing plus approximately 1/4 c. Organic, low sodium chicken broth and used the paddle attachment to mix.
This mixture proved successful in reducing the strong sage flavor.

Diluting the over-saged stuffing is the only way to fix it. Whether you add more stuffing w/o sage or potatoes to dilute it the effect is the same. You could dilute it with bread, potato, rice or beans.

You can also use the stuffing as a seasoning. Just spread your stuffing out on a cookie sheet and bake it until dried. Then crumble it. Store in freezer bags, in the freezer. Use it as a coating for poultry, or add it to other, unseasoned batches of stuffing. You can even work it into potato, rice, and noodle dishes, such as casseroles. I hope you see this, and it helps.

Seeeeya, chief Longwind of the North

I haven't tried this with stuffing, under stand, but I've used potato flakes to absorb flavors in overly seasoned dishes.

Back
Top Bottom