Herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I grew some fresh rosemary and sage this year. The plants still look beautiful outside even though we've had many many frosts. Can these still be used? I meant to go out and cut some and hang to dry but never got around to it before frost season.

My rosemary stays alive all winter - even with through ice storms and frosts. It's still good. Your sage is fine too - I will miss my fresh sage this year - it got pulled and thrown out accidentally :rolleyes:

Ummm... I don't know where in Indiana you live, but there is a big difference between a frost and a foot of snow. I bring mine in in the winter, take it out in the summer. Yes, it can take a frost, but not necessarily 3 months of freezing weather. My little "bonsai" rosemary provides the entire block with rosemary (it just happened to grow into a bonsai-looking shape), but he definitely comes in before Christmas. My sage comes back every year, but isn't viable in the coldest winter months, so I cut it back and cover it in mulch. I have had bad luck drying it in recent years. But I have tons that come back every spring, two varieties. Right now my parsley is still looking good, but that will only last another week or two. The mint is still going strong, so much so that I had to go out and pull it out of every place it wants to move into. But again, experience tells me that it will be dead in another week or two (not dead, just in hibernation). My chives are gone for the year, but they will be back, as will my lemon balm. But my experience is that I take the rosemary in for the worst of the winter months. We sometimes get below freezing temps for weeks on end, and it can't take it. There is a big difference between northern and southern Indiana.

I am in Missouri, right on line between zone 5 and 6, and rosemary is generally not hardy here, unless we have a very mild winter.

Lavendar is kind of iffy, sometimes it makes it and sometimes not.

Sage does just fine, and usually I can run out and find a leaf or two all winter. Oregano is very hardy.

Just a suggestion. I leave mine out. It's a pretty tough evergreen. I do recommend that you cut it back. A good rule of thumb is to cut it back about a third. I bring in what I cut and put it throughout the house. Better than air freshener!

Claire said:
Ummm... I don't know where in Indiana you live, but there is a big difference between a frost and a foot of snow. I bring mine in in the winter, take it out in the summer. Yes, it can take a frost, but not necessarily 3 months of freezing weather. My little "bonsai" rosemary provides the entire block with rosemary (it just happened to grow into a bonsai-looking shape), but he definitely comes in before Christmas. My sage comes back every year, but isn't viable in the coldest winter months, so I cut it back and cover it in mulch. I have had bad luck drying it in recent years. But I have tons that come back every spring, two varieties. Right now my parsley is still looking good, but that will only last another week or two. The mint is still going strong, so much so that I had to go out and pull it out of every place it wants to move into. But again, experience tells me that it will be dead in another week or two (not dead, just in hibernation). My chives are gone for the year, but they will be back, as will my lemon balm. But my experience is that I take the rosemary in for the worst of the winter months. We sometimes get below freezing temps for weeks on end, and it can't take it. There is a big difference between northern and southern Indiana.

No snow here as of yet. I live in Zone 5. I know my friend leaves hers out and it comes back every year and she just lives like 15 miles away.

Sizz, I'm in zone 6 (I think), which is a little warmer than you, but your rosemary should be OK. My plant is a monster that started life here as a little bitty plant I got at a plant sale and it's lived through several large dumps of snow over the past few years. It's got some protection because it's right next to the house in a little indentation by the front porch and is growing behind a holly bush that also keeps getting larger, so that may be what's helping it keep going.

Back
Top Bottom