What are Green peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducksscone

Assistant Cook
I encounter lots of recipes calling for green peppers. Do they mean green bell peppers or what? Seems like disaster awaiting for me.

Depends on the recipe, but yes, more than likely when calling for green peppers, assume bell peppers. Is there a specific recipe you are referring to?

Woops, me and GB at the same time there, but I see we both agree.

All the peppers are good in their own way. Green peppers have a very distinctive flavor. Red bell peppers are sweeter. The yellow, black, orange, etc. are all colorful and nice.
Given a choice I use red. they are particularly interesting to be used for stuffed peppers.

I think it's just the way different cultures name the same veg. In the UK, we never use 'bell' before the pepper... no matter what colour they are!

Ishbel said:
I think it's just the way different cultures name the same veg. In the UK, we never use 'bell' before the pepper... no matter what colour they are!
It's an important distinction to make here because there are so many very spicy pepper varieties, and they come in multiple colors as well.

Franca said:
It's an important distinction to make here because there are so many very spicy pepper varieties, and they come in multiple colors as well.

Including the NM green chile peppers, banana peppers, and all those others. All very different from "bell".

If the recipe is Mexican, Tex-Mex or a Spicy sort of dish - they may be green pablano peppers.
Generally - use the bell pepper for no heat and a pablano or other "hot" green pepper if you want heat in the dish.

Most of the others we call by their 'names' eg chillis, Scotch bonnets, banana etc. The bog standard green/red/yellow peppers are just that: peppers!

Green chiles, I hate that term in a recipe. It confuses the heck out of me for the reasons stated above.

Generally (like almost universally) green/red/yellow pepper without any qualifying name (japaleno, ancho, scotch bonnet, etc), is the basic capsicum (bell pepper).

auntdot said:
Green chiles, I hate that term in a recipe. It confuses the heck out of me for the reasons stated above.

BUT that is their name, unless you add Hatch green chile to it. Or NM green chiles.

If the recipe calls for green peppers, it means the blocky, sweet green peppers. If you give them long enough on the plant, they will turn into red peppers. The beautiful, big red, orange and yellow peppers that you find in the produce sections are hybrids of the original green pepper. There is a difference in taste...once they ripen they are sweeter. Some people here do call them bell peppers...some even call them mango peppers.
If the recipe wants hot peppers, it will say so.

Caine said:
Well, I'm glad we were able to clear THAT up. And in just two pages, too.

Hey, you need to set your posts to show 40 per page - in that case it "cleared it up" in less than 1/2 a page for me! :-p :LOL: But even with the 40 posts per page it takes forever to figure out how to boil or peel an egg! :rolleyes:

ducksscone said:
I encounter lots of recipes calling for green peppers. Do they mean green bell peppers or what? Seems like disaster awaiting for me.

l guess you can pick through all the conversation and figure out that if a recipe calls for green pepper they mean sweet green peppers or bell peppers.

I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, we're a pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?

Back
Top Bottom