Who ISN'T cooking for Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We always cook, one way or another. Even when we go to someone's home for dinner, we cook a small turkey, large chicken or Cornish hens to have for us. We may not prepare the whole "nine yards," but always a bird of some kind. There's something wonderful about the tastes and smells of Thanksgiving we can't resist. For example, when we cook a turkey here, picking it for a couple of days after is a sublime treat. Just my two cents worth.

Erik said:
:mad: I'm not...everyone else has planned it, so they have control. Next year...THANKSGIVING DOMINATION WILL BE MINE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

LOL - why do you think I have Thanksgiving at MY house - it's because of FRIDAY!!!!!! Not really but I do enjoy left-overs! I have actually relinquished the desserts to someone else and the sweet potato casserole (but they have to use my recipe) :LOL:

Make sure you start early and gain that control for next year!!!!!!!!! :chef:

It isn't at my house this year, so I think of myself aws "not cooking." However, I am making the gravy, and I am making and taking a Sweet Potato Pie, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, and a warm salad of Red Cabbage, Bacon and Feta.... so well, maybe I AM cooking, just not the whole feast.

and the week following, I'll be making Baked Chicken and Dressing (already know I shall miss "mine" on Thursday). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've had every holiday for the last-almost-3 years so I am happy to say I am not cooking - however - I am preparing chocolate peanut butter bon bons, peanut brittle, cranberry pineapple sauce, vegetable casserole, and a new appetizer that includes french bread with a cheese, spanish olive and mayo (or sour cream) spread. I am planning on enjoying this holiday, I got Christmas - but I like to cook so it will be fun!

My dd is doing everything except a couple of pies. I'm certainly glad as we go to the farm early the next day to do my mom's birthday party.

Well, DH and I will be in the old capital of Kazakhstan for Thanksgiving--no, Borat is not invited-ha, ha, ha!! He is not too well liked at the moment and probably would be arrested if he did come. We did have an international feast day at the international school where I volunteer teach on Saturday and had food from all over the world and the children got up and said what they were thankful for. It was really nice and brought tears to your eyes. We will go to our favorite Thai restaurant in Almaty and do the turkey and all the trimmings at Christmas when we go back to the states. Good compromise and I don't have to cook dyed green turkey.

Mrs. Big Dog and I are both making something for Thanksgiving. With her family, we kind of do a pot luck meal with everybody bringing something. Wherever it is hosted, they do the turkey. This year her folks are hosting, so DW is making 7 layer Jello salad and I am making roasted acron squash.

My DIL's mom is having our whole gang over, again. She's a saint. It's me, my ex, my son and her daughter, my other son and his girlfriend, 2 more grandmothers, her son and her husband .... and of course her. Plus our 18 mo granddaughter.

Since I moved south, I really feel badly that I can't help. Luckily she loves to cook as much as I do + she even looks like Martha Stewart. :LOL:

Mr HB and his dad are going to Alabama to have T'day with his DIL, her husband, 2 grandboys, Mr HB's ex and her husband.

We are blessed that all of us Ex's get along very well.

Last edited:
I'm glad I waited to read the entire post before I pushed the panic button! I thougth for a minute something might have "happened" to Mr. HB and his father - I'm glad that you're getting away and that they'll have someplace to go. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had Thanksgiving at my place last year. This year I'll be going to my Dad's side of the family for lunch at 1pm, and then my Mom's side at 5pm. By 7pm I should look like this... :sick: :LOL:

I cook turkey all year round (I've had it 2 or 3 times since September), so I don't "require" multiday leftover feasts ala soups/pies/salads.

Don't even have to bring desserts Thursday. My kicthen will be clean and quiet. :ohmy:

I did pick up some beef shortribs to braise tomorrow afternoon though. Nice pre-Thanksgiving rev-up feast.

Half Baked said:
My DIL's mom is having our whole gang over, again. She's a saint. It's me, my ex, my son and her daughter, my other son and his girlfriend, 2 more grandmothers, her son and her husband .... and of course her. Plus our 18 mo granddaughter.

Since I moved south, I really feel badly that I can't help. Luckily she loves to cook as much as I do + she even looks like Martha Stewart. :LOL:

Mr HB and his dad are going to Alabama to have T'day with his DIL, her husband, 2 grandboys, Mr HB's ex and her husband.

We are blessed that all of us Ex's get along very well.

I'm confused. But glad you guys have it all worked out.

Harborwitch said:
I'm glad I waited to read the entire post before I pushed the panic button! I thougth for a minute something might have "happened" to Mr. HB and his father - I'm glad that you're getting away and that they'll have someplace to go. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I moved the sharp knives, Sharon! :LOL:

This year we are doing it at home, and the best part is the leftovers including the sandwiches, the potpies, and the soup.

But if we were going out, well, there are turkeys at our local supermarket for 37 cents a pound (you have to buy about $35 dollars in groceries to get the price but that is not very hard for us).

We would buy one and roast it just for the leftovers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom