Tenderizing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
quite a hunk o meat!

the only thing I could recommend to tenderize a hunk that size is to needle it. In the meat industry it is called Jacarding(sp*), but it is essentially running a series of long solid, needles through the cut of meat to help tenderize it.

I think it is "larding" and it tenderizes when it cooks by the fat that is inserted into the meat with the needles.
What do you plan to do with the pieces of meat. They can be cooked so they are tender--by the larding or by braising or by marinating before cooking.
Some could be ground venison. I think you need to have it cut into the correct pieces and then find recipes. Some it will be tender. Deer are no longer the stringy tough pieces of meat they used to be--at least what we are getting.
Hope you got the backstrap!!

yes Gretchen, that is also a technique, opposite of barding(wraping in fat). This just incorporates fat into the meat. It is a process that is fading due to the quality of meets on the market now. It used to be very common.

Jacarding machines are a group of closely placed long needles in groups as small as 10 and as many as 100. Its sole purpose is to break down tough cuts like top round and make lesser cuts of meat tender, like top round and some sirloin...

this is rated GREAT for game http://www.jaccard.com/Home-Product-WTender-48B.asp?group=R

I like the idea of breaking the primal down into more manageable parts, and braising will for sure yield a great end result.

Last edited:
long ago, i recieved a hefty cut of venison that didn't look all that tender,so i put up 15 or 20 quarts of mincemeat. it's a lot of work initially (takes most of a day), but we really enjoyed "bambi pies" for several years.
icon12.gif

i'd go with what tatt and gretchen mentioned. manual tenderizing would work best for such a tough cut. an enzymatic marinade will help and can add flavor, but might not penetrate a large cut enough to be useful as a tenderizer.

Well Constance....I would say it is just a "southern" thing...albeit southern Illinois :) I hear that the ladies in "southern" Illinois can be (almost) as pretty as the deep south southern belles that I am accustomed to.:D

Tell your other half I will be sl-o-o-o-o-o-w cooking a shoulder roast this week-end.

Back
Top Bottom