Need help duplicating mom's recipe for fruit salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjr

Assistant Cook
This is my first time here...hope I'm doing this right. I'm trying to duplicate a fruit salad made with whipping cream, dates, grapes,apples and nuts (and probably other fruit too). I don't think there was any mayonaise, sour cream, cream cheese or spices in it as mom was a basic midwestern cook. Any ideas on this? Do I put in vanilla or just add that to the whipped cream. Any ideas? I am a horrible cook, which is why I was asked to bring fruit salad...Thanks in advance.

Pj,
I'd just whip the cream with vanilla and sugar, then fold iti nto my cut fruit, a few minutes before serving.

kadesma:)

pjr said:
This is my first time here...hope I'm doing this right. I'm trying to duplicate a fruit salad made with whipping cream, dates, grapes,apples and nuts (and probably other fruit too). I don't think there was any mayonaise, sour cream, cream cheese or spices in it as mom was a basic midwestern cook. Any ideas on this? Do I put in vanilla or just add that to the whipped cream. Any ideas? I am a horrible cook, which is why I was asked to bring fruit salad...Thanks in advance.

My Grandma made one that had chopped green apples, chopped red apples, chopped celery, candied dates, quartered marischino cherries, chopped pecans, sliced bananas (that have been dipped in lemon juice) & mini marshmallows. Then she made the dressing for it (which I'm sure is different than what you're looking for, but since I'm on the subject....:rolleyes: ) a mix of sour cream, white sugar, mayo & marischino cherry juice. It was quite sweet & tasty!

Best of luck on your fruit salad!

I have this really easy fruit type salad called sunshine salad, if you want to try it.

Sunshine Salad

1 can peach pie filling
4.5 oz. cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup lemon juice
4 cans mandarin oranges, drain
1 large can pineapple tidbits, drain
1 cup tiny marshmallows
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients and chill before serving.

It sounds like what you're describing is a variation of a creme chantilly (sweetened, flavoured, whipped cream). Putting in other things like fruit, nuts or even marshmallows is a nice idea but you need to be very careful what you add to cream. Acidic fruit will sour it, make it very thick and change the dish completely. A general fruit salad is made with a variety of available fruits i.e. apples, pears, bananas, grapes, oranges and some sort of fruit juice; commonly orange juice. I would suggest that you make the salad and keep the cream seperate, either whipped or for pouring, to add later before the salad is eaten. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom