Turkey roasting by convection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katje

Assistant Cook
Good morning all,

Being a novice member I don't know if this is the right place for this or if this is even of interest to anyone but I'll share it on the off-chance that someone will find the information useful.

Over the summer we put in a new gas/convection range and I remember the salesperson saying that the convection thing could significantly reduce the time required to cook a large turkey.

So on Tuesday past I went to our local grocery to purchase a small turkey, only to find that the smallest one still available was a 17 pound monster. (I also had a kind of 'sticker-shock' moment because the cost of the turkey was something like 42 dollars which is ALOT more than I've ever had to pay for a turkey before. Did something catastrophic happen to the global turkey supply?)

On Thanksgiving day itself I wanted to try roasting the bird using what the oven calls "Convection Roasting" but, never having done it before I was kind of hesitant to be trying something new with our Thanksgiving dinner. But, I thought, what the ****, let's give it a try, and I went looking for the instruction book

This oven has a little accessory temperature sensing-probe and the instructions said to insert the probe into the thickest part of the thigh, set the probe temperature to 185 F, and the oven temperature to 325 F. According to the instructions, the oven would cook merrily along until the probe sensed the pre-set value of 185 F and then it would simply shut itself off. There was a little chart that said it would take approximately 10 minutes per pound to reach an internal temperature of 185 plus perhaps an additional 40 minutes if the bird was stuffed.

I put the stuffed turkey into the oven at 1:30 PM. (I had rubbed the skin with a mixture of olive oil and sage) I set up the oven as per instructions, closed the door, and three and a half hours later there was a little "Ding" from the oven, and inside was the most perfectly roasted turkey I've ever seen anywhere. The meat was well cooked, yet very moist, and the color was a lovely gold/brown without a hint of blackness.

The only reason I'm even putting this in the forum is that prior to cooking our bird I went on-line to see if I could find some first-hand accounts of convection roasting a relatively large turkey and I couldn't seem to find any. (I did find out about DC though) My experience with the technique was pretty much 100% satisfactory.

A lovely and peaceful holiday weekend to all of you

Hi, katje. Welcome to DC.

I'm glad your first attempt was successful. It's hard to get a stuffed bird to stay moist.

There was no worldwide turkey shortage. You were just 'priviledged' to spend three times the normal price. Where in the world are you?

Thanks for sharing katje - I don't have a convection oven but I am looking to buy one - I have heard great things about convection roast - it is good to hear it from someone you "know". Thanks-and I am glad your turkey turned out so great.

Welcome, Katje! I cooked my turkey last year in my new convection oven, and also had great success. My 23-pound bird cooked to perfection in under 4 hours! I was thrilled at the speed, but at the same time I was worried somehow that the turkey would not be cooked through. It turned out to be the best turkey I've ever done.

The convection option certainly is a huge time saver! I don't put the dressing inside the bird, tho. How long did your stuffed bird take?

I'm willing to bet you bought an organic turkey. That sounds about the price that is charged for those! Maybe that's all that was left at your market on the Tuesday before... but I'd be curious to know what you got for $42. :)

MY daughter and I both have convection ovens andI love mine and she is now loving hers:LOL: I bought a 18 lb. turkey and after hanging on to turkey bucks from my grocery store, I got the bird for 3 dollars:) Anywho, we put it unstuffed into the pan covered it after rubbing it down above and below skin with an herb butter..We started the bird at 325 at 9:30 and had dinner at 3:35 bird was perfect...I use my convection oven a lot when I make bread or foccacia, it seems to help give me a nicer crust.
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom