What food is your state famous for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Howdy All,:-p
Inbetween the shopping and eating and other good holiday stuff, I'm doing a little research. Care to play...?

What food or foods is your state famous for?
:cool:

No fighting, we all know Buffalo wings came from NY, and superbowl is not a state.

As for me, I'll start with a shoo-fly pie for Pennsylvania. Cheers!

State?

are UKers allowed in this thread?

our County (the West-Midlands) is oddly the best place to by a Balti, even though it`s a foriegn dish, it`s reputedly the best place :)

I'm in Virginia near Virginia Beach. While I did not grow up here, I've lived here longer than I did Ohio where I grew up! I think Brunswick stew or peanut soup are good regional dishes here. I have a recipe for peanut soup that dates from colonial days. It's great hot or cold. I had never heard of either of these dishes until I moved here nearly 25 years ago.

Jabbur, also am from VA, although was not born here and lived in many states.

Love this entire country and greatly respect the many cuisines. But do love the Old Dominion.

Oh, yes, and please post those recipes.

But, to get to the point which I have trouble doing, this state is famous for three food items. Yep, the afore mentioned peanuts. But also piggies, yep, this is the piggy capital of the country as far as I can tell.

Country hams, if you have never had one you are missing out.

They have nothing to do with the regular, city hams one finds regularly.

They are sublime.

Even for breakfast. Take a ham steak and serve with red eye gravy, some taters and eggs and you know what joy is.

And crabs. We may have to thumb wrestle Marylanders on this one, but this place is truly the home of the blue crab.

I am glad we do not fight duels anymore, because folks here have their own ideas of what a crabcake is all about. As do our friends in Maryland.

And very strong opinions I must admit.

But eat the soft shelled ones, or the regular crabs, or the ultimate culinary experience, the crab cake.

Have lived in many other localities, and will fight about the proper way to make New England clam chowder, Manhattan style clam chowder, good old Forida conch fritters, Washington razor clams, California abalones, and I could go on and on.

Last edited:
I love in New Jersey, and we are VERYfaamous for our tomatoes... probably the best in the whole USA!

also peaches and blueberries!

Lots of great produce grown right here in the Garden State. and plenty of seafood from down Cape May way....

As for Kentucky, I think the state produces some of the best barbecue in the country. However, I think I would be sorely remiss if I didn't say Kentucky's contribution to the world of food (and drink) is its wonderful bourbon. None better anywhere and I'll drink to that!:LOL:

You're all making me hungry, and quite scholarly as well! (How great would it be to travel around just for the sake of eating?) :chef:

Thanks for all the input so far!! I didn't realize the peanut was born and bred in VA. And peanut soup.....yum!

thanks everyone:-p

I haven't done any research but I am going solely on what I have eaten here in the Chicago are and all the other places I have lived (California, Texas, Nevada). IMO, Chicago has wonderful pizza, hot dogs (Gene and Judes is the best), big juicy beef sandwiches with lots of giardanara and lets not forget Fannie May candy!

Aunt Lisa's Kitchen said:
Ummmm....what's a balti?:mellow:
well in actual fact a Balti is a type of Wok used in a particular type of Indian cookery, there are Many types of Dishes available, Vindaloos, tikas, bhajees, tandori dishes (although the Tandor isn`t done in a wok, it`s a charcoal BBQ type of tall pot).
mostly always served with Naan bread and popadums.

in Birmingham (my closest city) there are at least 2-3 balti resteraunts per block, it`s the UKs Balti Capital :)

Here in da UP, we're pretty much not famous for much. Nor is Michigan on the whole. But we are sort of famous for Great Lakes fish, i.e. whitefish, brown trout, lake trout, rainbow trout, speckled trout, northern pike, walley, jumbo yellow perch, small mouth bass, adn smelt. We also have the migratory runs of king, chinook, coho, and pink salmon. We're also somewhat famous for our cornish pasties, especially in the Upper Peninsula. But most folks around her eat pretty simple and hearty food, or at least they used to in my parents' day and earlier. Now, most people don't remember how to cook. That's why I say this area is cullinarily retarded.:LOL:

There is some pretty great wild game cooked around here as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

YT2095 said:
State?

are UKers allowed in this thread?

our County (the West-Midlands) is oddly the best place to by a Balti, even though it`s a foriegn dish, it`s reputedly the best place :)

Or Canadians...
I dont know what my province makes...
hmm
I know Quebec has poutine. :P

I lived in Canada for 8 years, what Province you in?

I know in Alberta the Beef is almost unriveled, and sascatoon pie`s pretty good too :)

My home state of Vermont is noted for their exceptional maple syrup and my adopted state of Kansas is known for their bierocks.

Bierocks

2 lbs. hamburger
1 c. onion, chopped
4 c. cabbage, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Cook hamburger, onion, cabbage, salt and pepper until browned. Roll out dough and cut into large circles. Put 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of dough. Pinch closed. Bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, at 375 degrees.
Dough for bierocks
2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm milk
4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter, softened
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set in warm place. Add warm milk, butter and salt; let stand for 10 minutes with yeast mixture in it. Add flour and sugar. Let double for 50 minutes.

Since there are many voices for Chicago, and I'm in a corner of Illinois (literally) where I'm within spitting distance of both Wisconsin and Iowa, I'll speak up for them. Iowa has the best pork in the country, so pork products of all sorts. I'll bow to Virginia (where I spent many years) on ham, but when it comes to bacon, sausage, and all other pork products, Iowa is the place to be. For Wisconsin (and rural northern Illinois) it is cheese. Hubby and I laugh. When we were in Kentucky and saw beautiful, clean tanker trucks we knew they contained bourbon. In our area, you know they contain milk. These trucks (both) are so squeaky clean you can literally eat off of the top of them. Oh, Wisconsin is also famous for her bratwursts and other sausages; they also make maple syrup (my mom actually admitted the other day that she preferred the Wisconsin that I bought her one year to the Vermont that I bought her another ... a very shamefull admission from a New Englander!), and cranberries.

Last edited:
Here's the roundup:

We've got VA and KY, Chicago, IA and KS, WI, MI, Bermuda, VT and NJ, and even the UK (and no thumb wrestling matches yet over crabs:angel:)

Have we any New Yorkers out there, Californians, South West.....we've got a lot of hungry states. Chime on in!:-p

YT2095 said:
I lived in Canada for 8 years, what Province you in?

I know in Alberta the Beef is almost unriveled, and sascatoon pie`s pretty good too :)

I'm in Ontario.

Alberta is certainly famous for their beef, along with their no PST. But McDonalds is making them sound really bad. Cause I don't like McDonalds at all, and I was told about a report saying their burgers are rated F, and their beef comes from Alberta.
I don't know about anything in Saskatoon, or Saskatchewan at all.

Back
Top Bottom