What's in Your Eggnog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue said:
I wonder if enough alcohol in the homemade eggnog would kill any nasties???:sick:

Hmmm. I like egg nog, not a huge fan, but like it. I have a bottle of 130 proof bourbon that I'm sure would likely be up to the task! :angel:

I'd NEVER defile my precious single barrel, uncut bourbon with egg nog though. :-p

John

Eggnog question - could I take store bought eggnog, heat it up, add a splash of the Captain (Morgan) then add whipped cream and nutmeg? I like the idea of having it warm - thoughts?

ronjohn55 said:
Hmmm. I like egg nog, not a huge fan, but like it. I have a bottle of 130 proof bourbon that I'm sure would likely be up to the task! :angel:

I'd NEVER defile my precious single barrel, uncut bourbon with egg nog though. :-p

John

I'd be more than happy to defile your bourbon..and I won't do it with any eggnog, either!:angel:

Toots said:
Eggnog question - could I take store bought eggnog, heat it up, add a splash of the Captain (Morgan) then add whipped cream and nutmeg? I like the idea of having it warm - thoughts?
Sure, why not???

You know, I think eggnog is the most amazing thing. Its rarely if ever made in UK, but you Americans know how to make a Christmas drink alright! I love the stuff. I am a rum girl (in more than one sense) not least because I usually have rum in the house for something anyway.

Toots said:
I've never heard of heating the eggnog. I've always savored it cold, but if you want it hot, why not? :huh:

Here's a Venezuelan Version called "Ponche Crema" ( literally, "Cream Punch):

2 cans condensed millk
* 2 Egg whites
* 4 Egg yolks
* 3/4 lt to 1lt milk
* Vanilla
* the zest of 1 lemon (or lime)
* a pinch of nutmeg
* 3/4 lt to 1 lt Venezuelan rum

Beat the egg whites to stiif peaks, then beat in the yolks. Gradullay add the condensed milk and the other ingredients, beating all the time until thick and smooth.

VeraBlue said:
I'd be more than happy to defile your bourbon..and I won't do it with any eggnog, either!:angel:

Oh, I have plenty of other bourbons at the house. You can use them in egg nod all you'd like. :-p

John

I haven't attempted to make my own homemade eggnog in many, many, years. Usually, I'm happy with a quart of the store-bought stuff. On the rare ocassions when I want to "bump it up a notch", Capt. Morgan's Spiced Rum will happily fill the bill, although a good brandy or even some of Mr. Daniel's fine product will work.

Would it be considered blasphemy to adulterate some really good, old, Scotch with some eggnog?

AllenOK said:
Would it be considered blasphemy to adulterate some really good, old, Scotch with some eggnog?

If you enjoy it, then absolutely not!

And if someone from DC were to show up at my door, I'd proabbly even let them use the good bourbon... It is the holiday season, after all. :dry: :ROFLMAO: :dry:

John

ronjohn55 said:
If you enjoy it, then absolutely not!

And if someone from DC were to show up at my door, I'd proabbly even let them use the good bourbon... It is the holiday season, after all. :dry: :ROFLMAO: :dry:

John

That's my bourbon now...I called it:winkiss:

I cannot come to Detroit! That's where all the criminals were sent in the Kentucky Fried Movie! I'm afraid of Detroit.:winkiss:

You realize, of course...that now, whenever you happen to have a drink from the bottle in question that you'll be forced to think of me:blush:

VeraBlue said:
I cannot come to Detroit! That's where all the criminals were sent in the Kentucky Fried Movie! I'm afraid of Detroit.:winkiss:

Yes, they were delicious.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

VeraBlue said:
You realize, of course...that now, whenever you happen to have a drink from the bottle in question that you'll be forced to think of me:blush:

Hmmm... What if it stays unopened? :-p:ROFLMAO::-p

John

AllenOK said:

Well, I wouldn't consider it blasphemy, AllenOK, but my husband certainly would... adding anything more than a splash of water to a single malt is something he considers worthy of a prison sentence!:)

ronjohn55 said:
Oh, I have plenty of other bourbons at the house. You can use them in egg nod all you'd like. :-p John

Does it become "egg nod" after adding all the bourbon in the house?????:ROFLMAO:

We discovered last year that Maker's Mark is the thing for egg nog! No rum, no brandy, no rum and brandy mix. Good bourbon!!! Wheeee.

Hey ya'll, I'm new here, though I've been cooking for many years.

As for the question before the floor, my vote goes for either bourbon (preferably Woodford Reserve) or irish whisky (preferably Tullamore Dew). The important thing, IMHO, whatever the libation, is that it be chilled. From now till Christmas, there's always a chilled bottle of something in the fridge.

BTW, I noticed a few homemade eggnog recipes, but all of them used raw eggs. If anyone's interested, here's one that's cooked. Basically, it's a very thin creme anglaise. Even people who don't like eggnog (read that, commercial eggnog) usually like this.

-----------------

Eggnog - Homemade
4 lg eggs
3/4 c sugar (divided)
1-1/2 tsp nutmeg (divided)
1/4 tsp salt
5 c milk (divided)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp bourbon, dark rum, southern comfort, amaretto, etc.
1 c heavy cream

1. Beat eggs; blend in sugar (reserving 2 tbsp for Step 4), salt, 1 tsp nutmeg and 1 c milk. Measure out another 1 c milk.

2. Cook egg mixture over a heat diffuser or double boiler, stirring constantly, until heated to 160 degrees. Remove from heat and stir 60 seconds; stir in second cup of milk.

3. Strain egg mixture through a coarse sieve into a two-quart bottle. Add vanilla, liquor, 1/2 c heavy cream and remaining 3 c milk. Chill well, preferably overnight, stirring occasionally for first few hours.

4. When ready to serve, whip remaining 1/2 c heavy cream with remaining 2 tbsp sugar until thick and frothy but not stiff; stir into eggnog. Sprinkle servings with a dash nutmeg. Makes about 1‑3/4 qt.

Extra Rich: For an even richer eggnog, increase eggs to six and cook with 1‑1/2 c milk. Replace 1 c milk with more heavy cream. (I reserve this version for Christmas eve.)

Modern Dairy Style: For the thickness of commercial eggnog without the funky artificial flavors, try one of the following tricks: (i) beat 4 tbsp cornstarch (or, better, tapioca flour) with the eggs; (ii) sprinkle 1 tsp plain gelatin (1/2 envl) over 1/4 c cold water; let stand 2 minutes; bring just to a boil (about 40 seconds by microwave) and stir until dissolved; add with vanilla in Step 3; or (iii) blend 1/2 tsp xanthum gum (available in health food stores) with the 3 c milk in Step 3.

Warm Eggnog: Not well known, but it makes sense if you think about it. Beat 1/2 c cornstarch with the eggs and increase milk for Step 1 to 2 c. (More needed than for option one of the preceding paragraph because this isn’t chilled, so the eggs never become significant thickeners.) Stir in ingredients per second sentence of Step 3 and heat through. Hold in a slow cooker or over a heat diffuser; don’t boil or the eggnog will thin again and/or the eggs curdle.

Back
Top Bottom