A Real Martini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
I'll admit I've never had a martini. But my understanding of a martini is it is (choice #1) gin with a dash or two of vermouth depending upon how "dry" you want it and an olive or two, or (choice #2) a vodka martini, same sort of treatment.

I realize there are all sorts of what I call "martini cocktails" out there - chocolate martinis, cranberry martinis, appletinis... But let's stick with the old time, post-prohibition era martinis for this post, please :)

Which do you prefer, gin or vodka martinis?

My brother is closing on his new house on 12/18 and will be moving in over the Christmas holidays. He loves to entertain but he's sadly lacking in barware. So I bid on and won some barware glasses on eBay for his housewarming gift. It includes 6 martini glasses and 6 cocktail glasses, frosted with a silver "leaf" design on them.

If can save up the money I'd like to also get him some nice Bombay Sapphire gin or a good (? no clue!) vodka and vermouth to go with. The vermouth can always be used in place of dry cooking sherry and he likes to cook. I'm not sure he's a fan of gin, to tell you the truth, but I thought it would be a nice gesture.

So what say you for a "real" old fashioned martini, gin or vodka?

Fraidy

gin here too. vodka is not turned down, tho. :) hiccup!

i don't drink much hard liquor, but if i do, it should be tasty nitroglycerine.

Last edited:
Lots of the cheapish gins on sale here in Spain smell too much like lavender bags for my liking. So if an expensive gin is out of the question, I'd vote for vodka.

Vodka for me (Grey Goose is my preference and a great gift to buy for your brother).

I enjoy gin and tonic, but gin without being cut somewhat is just too much for me to take.

Gin. I find Bombay Sapphire too strong/harsh for a martini, though. I go with the regular Bombay (or Junipero, if it's around) for the martini and the Sapphire for G&T.

Loprraine said:
With lots of olives.
As my bartender friend would say to my dad when he used to order his martini with 3 olives from her..."would you like some booze with your salad?" :LOL:

Bombay Saphire and 2 olives. So dry that vermouth is a whisper in a far corner.

Our new passion is Damrak, with only a twist. It's from Amsterdam and is much less junipery - it has a subtle orange flavor!

Vodka is Bob's choice, loves Stoli. I like a vodka martini now and then - and especially with Trader Joe's Monopolowa vodka. :-p:-p

Gimme a V....odka! It's all about the vodka. I love Ciroc - vodka made from grapes!

and always with a twist. Olives belong with the bread and cheese...

After being a devout vodka drinker for years, with Stoli leading the way, I decided to give a real martini a try; did my research, tried a couple of different brands and was suprisingly satisfied with Bombay gin (regular and Saphyre). I do like some vermouth in my martini and requisite two olives, plump, preferably filled with garlic or anchovies (my husband won't come close to the fishy ones though).

So, on Saturday afternoons we alternate between vodka and gin martinis, depending on the mood.

Back
Top Bottom