Need help with turning over salmon patties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Whenever I make salmon patties I pan-fry them in a little oil. But I have trouble both turning them and getting them out of the pan. It doesn't seem to matter which spatula I use, when I need to flip them they just push around the pan. I have to really fight with them or use my finger to push them onto the spatula before I can flip them over to brown the other side. I have the same problem when I need to get them on the spatula to remove them to paper towels to blot off any excess oil. It also doesn't seem to matter whether I use my RevereWare frying pan (non-stick) or a non-stick frying pan.

Is there a solution or am I just stuck with being mildly annoyed every time I make salmon patties?

Fraidy

First of all, I'd like to see your recipe.

Aside from that, my best advice to you is to chill your patties about an hour before cooking. That really helps a lot. And then, by all means, cook them in a little olive oil and a pat of butter in a non-stick skillet. Don't try to turn until one side is browned to your liking. Then turn, and leave alone until that side is browned. Too much flipping will tear them up for sure.

You can also bake them in the oven, although I've never tried that.

Last edited:
My recipe is a bit unconventional; I grew up with my mom making them this way and I've been doing them this way for 25 years.

16 oz. can Alaska pink salmon
2 c. crushed corn chips
2 Tbs. sour cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. pepper
dried parsley flakes or fresh chopped parsley (optional)

Drain the salmon; remove the small round bones. Mash the salmon in a mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well with a fork. Form into 6 patties. Pan-fry until golden brown on each side.

I didn't use olive oil, I used Canola with a pat of butter added. I don't turn them until they are very nicely browned.

I've tried baking them but they just don't taste as good that way! :)

Fraidy

Hi Fraidy,
Have you tried using two spatulas?
One to hold the cake still while the other slides under?
This might give you a bit more control of the cake while trying to flip.

I think that's a good looking recipe, FraidKnot. I wouldn't change it a bit. I use Ritz Crackers and Miracle Whip, which is the same thing, only different.
Just try chilling them first. I think you'll find it works wonders.

I agree with JohnL, Fraidy. I use one regular spatula and one long, thin one--usually an offset icing spat. You get the space on the regular one and the agility from the thin one. It's like giving your spatula a thumb!

Fraid, you are doing something right! Your patties aren't sticking to the pan!

What I do in this situation is to use my finger and a spatula. The finger acts as a stop so the item won't slide when I insert the spatula from the opposite side. I use the spat to lift the pattie or fish up on edge and then to lower it slowly on the other side. No splashing of hot oil and remember to keep your finger out of the oil.

Andy M. said:
What I do in this situation is to use my finger and a spatula. The finger acts as a stop so the item won't slide when I insert the spatula from the opposite side. I use the spat to lift the pattie or fish up on edge and then to lower it slowly on the other side. No splashing of hot oil and remember to keep your finger out of the oil.
I learned to do this in school, but they emphasized to flip AWAY from you, just in case. Naturally, I later learned the wisdom of this the hard way . . .

bullseye said:
I learned to do this in school, but they emphasized to flip AWAY from you, just in case. Naturally, I later learned the wisdom of this the hard way . . .

I usually flip from right to left.

If you're right handed, then you would usually be standing somewhat to the right. It's mostly about being where the splash isn't, if it should occur.

bullseye said:
If you're right handed, then you would usually be standing somewhat to the right. It's mostly about being where the splash isn't, if it should occur.

I think you'd be OK as long as you didn't flip the item towards you.

Andy M. said:
I think you'd be OK as long as you didn't flip the item towards you.
I'm sure your right. It's surprising, though, how many people do just that (flip towards themselves).

:censored: Don't do it without a shirt on . . .:censored: (Maybe this should be in "Stupid things you've done in the Kitchen?")

bullseye said:
:censored: Don't do it without a shirt on . . .:censored: (Maybe this should be in "Stupid things you've done in the Kitchen?")
Now thats probaly the only dumb thing I will never do in the kitchen!!!( Try to flip anything that is:ROFLMAO:

I usually use a pair of chopsticks to turn the patties gently over and then a slotted spatula to dish them out.

Aw, geeze Fraidy - I usually just use my finger (sometimes a fork or spoon) and a spatula.

Now, if that makes you "annoyed" - I would hate to see your reaction to having to open the can ... and the rest of the steps in the recipe! :LOL:

Look on the bright side ... at least they are not sticking to the bottom of the pan! To me THAT would be annoying!

Last edited:
Andy M. said:

Nope, they never stick. They slide around pretty well, though! :LOL: I already do the finger thing, but I guess I'll try my smaller thin spatula on the other side next time. It's not a big problem or even a major annoyance, just something I noticed (again) when I made salmon patties the other night.

Fraidy

Andy M. said:

What I do in this situation is to use my finger and a spatula.

:LOL: No, they don't stick. They do slide around quite a bit, though! I've already (for years) been using the finger method but I think next time I'll just slip a smaller, skinnier spatula on the other side to slide it on the wide spatula.

This really isn't a big problem or even much of an annoyance, just something I noticed the other night when I made my salmon patties. :)

Back
Top Bottom