Bottoms-Up Chocolate Pudding Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
My son is making this for dessert tonight. It is from his Better Homes & Gardens New Jr. Cookbook.

1/2C. all-purpose flour
1/4C. granulated sigar
1Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4tsp. baking powder
1/4tsp. salt
1/4C. milk
2Tbsp. cooking oil
1tsp. vanilla
1/2C granulated sugar
2Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4C. boiling water
Whipped Cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Put flour, the 1/4C. sugar, 1Tbsp. cocoa powder, baking powder, & salt into a bowl & mix until well combined. Add milk, oil, & vanilla. Stir until smooth. Pour batter into an ungreased 1 quart casserole dish. Put the 1/2C. sugar & 2Tbsp. cocoa powder into a small bowl Gradually stir in boiling water. Pour evenly over batter in casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack for 20-30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.

Hey crewsk that sounds fun!! You'll love this cake. Marmalady posted a simillar recipe at the FN boards and it came out so yummy with it's own layer of chocolate sauce :D I had it with Vanilla ice cream, perfect cake!

I love it! He made one for the Men's Cake Bake at our church in August & it was wonderful. We had to double the recipe for that one so there would be enough to go around.

I have a similar recipe that calls for coffee, mixed with sugar and a couple others, that's poured over the batter and forms the sauce. I haven't made that in years. I loved it, though.

Here ya go! I got this recipe out of Chris Schlesinger's "Thrill of the Grill.

Chocolate Pudding Cake
Yields: 12 servings

This is a great, gooey cake that has it’s own sauce. I’ve made this many times. It’s great with ice cream.

2 c flour
1 ½ c + 2/3 c sugar, in all
4 T baking powder (this is not a typo!!)
½ t salt
1 ¼ c unsweetened cocoa, in all
1 c milk
1 T vanilla
½ c melted butter
½ c brown sugar
2 c freshly brewed coffee
1 c water
whipped cream for garnish, optional

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 12” pan. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, 1 ½ c sugar, baking powder, salt, and ½ c cocoa. Set the mixture aside. In another bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, and melted butter, and mix well. Don’t worry if the butter starts to solidify, just mix it well.). Add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture, and mix only until combine well. You will end up with a gooey, sticky batter. Spoon the batter into the buttered pan, spreading it evenly over the bottom. In a bowl combine the brown sugar, remaining white sugar, and remaining cocoa. Mix well with a fork and sprinkle over the top of the batter. Mix together the coffee and water, and pour over the sugar mixture on top of the batter. Bake 30 – 40 minutes. Check every 5 minutes after the first 30 minutes. You will know the cake is done when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and some sauce comes bubbling through the top surface. Serve it with whipped cream if desired.

Back
Top Bottom