The "White Food" (a game but not off topic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
In the southern U.S., it rarely snows. When it decides to get really cold (and for us 20-30 degrees farenheit is really cold) and also decides to rain, we get ice. That's really nasty. :(

Anyway, a number of years ago I remarked to some co-workers, whenever the weather guys predict any of that white stuff there is a mad dash to the grocery store to buy up what I call "white food". Milk, bread, eggs, toilet paper (not a food but essential!) - they all virtually disappear from the shelves. TV newscasters actually send crews out to record this shopping phenomenon :LOL: With the exception of a very, very bad ice storm back in 1994, it's not like we're going to be snowbound for a month. We're in the southern U.S., not the North Pole! But people go nuts. So for fun we started making a list of what things constitute "white food".

Wanna play? The list gets pretty outrageous by the time things are over! :)

Okay, it's going to snow. You have to buy "white food!" What will you buy? I'll start the list with:

Milk
Bread
Eggs
frozen cauliflower florets
white wine

Next?

Fraidy

It could snow heavily in the countryside knocking off electricity sometimes. In which case, I would stock up biscuits, canned food, bread, milk, eggs, ham and cheese.

boufa06 said:
It could snow heavily in the countryside knocking off electricity sometimes. In which case, I would stock up biscuits, canned food, bread, milk, eggs, ham and cheese.
But you see, ham isn't a "white food" :rolleyes: Biscuits (scones to our U.K. counterparts) could qualify. As could many white cheeses. But the game is to build a list of white foods until it verges into the silly (which it will, trust me!) I'll add cheese to the list for you :)

So far we have:

Milk
Bread
Eggs
frozen cauliflower florets
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
white cheese (could be many)

Next?

Biscuits are not scones in the UK, biscuits are cookies.

American biscuits may be similar to scones...

Ishbel said:
Biscuits are not scones in the UK, biscuits are cookies.

American biscuits may be similar to scones...
I meant American biscuits. American biscuits are similar to scones... made with flour, salt, baking powder, butter or lard or solid vegetable shortening; buttermilk or milk. Rolled out, cut and (in the case of my grandma Brown for her scones) baked on a cast iron griddle. Both American biscuits and scones are fantastic with clotted cream and jam :) It's hard to find clotted cream over here, though.

The scones my grandmother made weren't filled with currants or anything like that. They were strictly a savoury bread.

Fraidy

Last edited:
Neither are most of our scones. Treacle, bran, tattie, and ordinary ones - but ordinary scones are not savoury. They have sugar in the ingredients.

Biscuits in Europe are usually what Americans call cookies.

We are getting off track here... the game is to list "white foods" :) not to debate whether biscuits are cookies and scones are American biscuits. :rolleyes:So far we have:

Milk
Bread
Eggs
cauliflower (skip whether or not it's frozen :LOL:)
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
American biscuits/scones
potatoes/tatties

And...?

Ishbel said:
Goodness, I DO apologise.

Now now, don't take offense! Just play the game (or not)! What "white food" would you stock up on if you were going to be snowed in? I would think oats would be a good addition to the list. :)

Fraidy

Milk
Bread
Eggs
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
American biscuits/scones
potatoes/tatties
rice
grits
cream of wheat

Please, quote the list when you add items so we can keep it going... if you want to play. Doesn't matter if you don't want to play, I just thought it might be a nice diversion.

Fraidy

Milk
Bread
Eggs
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
American biscuits/scones
potatoes/tatties
rice
grits
cream of wheat
White chocolate

Tofu
Rice noodles
Glass noodles
White Fish fillets
Chicken breast
Radish
Yoghurt
Squid

Milk
Bread
Eggs
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
American biscuits/scones
potatoes/tatties
rice
grits
cream of wheat
White chocolate

Tofu
Rice noodles
Glass noodles
White Fish fillets
Chicken breast
Radish
Yoghurt
Squid

Sour Cream
White corn chips
vanilla ice cream
marshmallows (for roasting)
great northern beans

Milk
Bread
Eggs
cauliflower (skip whether or not it's frozen )
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
American biscuits/scones
potatoes/tatties
rice
grits
cream of wheat
White chocolate
Tofu
Rice noodles
Glass noodles
White Fish fillets
Chicken breast
Radish
Yoghurt
Squid
Sour Cream
White corn chips
vanilla ice cream
great northern beans

Quark
Asparagus
a015.gif

Mozarella
white cabbage
leek

Last edited:
Milk
Bread
Eggs
cauliflower (skip whether or not it's frozen )
white wine
pasta
cream
onions
American biscuits/scones
potatoes/tatties
rice
grits
cream of wheat
White chocolate
Tofu
Rice noodles
Glass noodles
White Fish fillets
Chicken breast
Radish
Yoghurt
Squid
Sour Cream
White corn chips
vanilla ice cream
great northern beans

Quark
Asparagus
a015.gif

Mozarella

Mayo
Sourdough bread
Peppermint schnapps:-p
Vodka
cabbage
turnips
flour

Now that we are off topic, let me mention that White Food has a different connotation for me than you intended.

I had heard for years that the great mid-west of our fair nation was known for "white food", and has been labled the land of white food.

I thought this pretty funny until a road trip took us through the heartland. We stopped at what looked like a popular place- (OBTW no fast food for us- we like it real and regional)... man it was strange.

The blue plate special was turkey, mashed potatoes with white gravy, and cauliflower. The plate even came with slice white loaf bread.
Man, this whole plate was so white I had to wear my sun glasses.
I asked for hot sauce- I thought the server was going to have a heart attack.

Not mention that the patron all seemed to be about 50 lbs overweight- or more.

The land of white food.

We now return you to your regularly schedluled thread.....

Back
Top Bottom