What other Holiday Drinks do you love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harborwitch

Sous Chef
The Holiday season always calls for the old traditional drinks; egg nog, Tom & Jerry's, Hot Buttered Rum.

I think hot buttered rum is one of my favorites. A disc jockey in San Francisco (I think his last name was Hardwick) shared his recipe for the best hot buttered's in the world.

Bring 1 lb. of the very best unsalted butter you can get to room temp. Beat in a mixing bowl with 1 lb brown sugar until fluffy.

Meanwhile soften 1/2 gallon of the best French Vanilla ice cream you can get in a large mixing bowl. When softened beat into the butter and sugar mixture. Place "batter" in a tupperware container and return to the freezer.

To make the Hot Buttered's heat mugs with hot water. Pour out water, add 2-3 TBS of "batter" to the mug, add rum to taste and hot water. Stir until blended and top with fresh grated nutmeg. This stuff is so good, so rich, and so worth the clogging of the arteries. You can half the recipe. :chef:

oh that sounds so good.I've always wanted to make hot buttered rum...just never had a recipe..thank you i will be trying it out.A drink i like is apple cider with some spiced rum....hmmmmmm...sounds pretty good right now

Believe it or not for some reason I like White Russians during the holidays - I just use fat free half and half.

Poinsettia - like a mimosa but use cranberry juice

WOW - that hot buttered rum sounds amazing!

pds - We sell a wine-based version of Bailey's Irish Cream - I might have to try some of that in my hot chocolate! Oh, and a wine-based white chocolate Godiva - oh my - I hope it turns cold soon so I can enjoy these hot drinks!!!!

Oh, I forgot one - homemade Russian tea (not the mix you can make out of instant tea but the homemade version) and vodka with a cinnamon stick.

my faves are not really holiday drinks, per se, but more of just wintery drinks.

irish coffee - add brown sugar, nearly fill mug with bushmills or jamesons, add a splash of dark roast coffee, top with freshly whipped unsweetened heavy cream.

polish coffee - wet mug and press rim in red colored sugar, fill 1/2 way with regular coffee, fill remainder with almond liqueur and krupnik (polish honey liqueur), top with sweet whipped cream.

broken leg - 50/50 spiced rum and hot apple cider.

Bucky..If I tried your broken leg I would have another broken leg (hip) so i think I better pass on that one..LOL

ooh, be careful marge. ok, i'll hold the apple cider. :)

i think a broken leg was so named in skiing resorts, because after a few it tends to keep you in the lodge in front of the fire as a real broken leg would.

We love mulled wine, we drink it quite a bit through the winter and I adore eggnog, I make it once a year as a special, special treat, usually at New Year. I had never heard of hot buttered rum, but now that sounds like it might become a new favourite....it sounds wonderful.

Sharon that Hot Buttered Rum sound delicious! I love Tom & Jerrys and only around the holidays do I think to make or order Coffee Kioki (sp?)/Coffee Nudge - they seem to be called different names in different parts of the country. (coffee, kahlua, brandy, creme de cocoa and of course whipped cream to top it off!)

I have a different Hot Buttered Rum recipe, that calls for mostly apple cider (or juice), a little butter, a little rum, and some other stuff. I don't remember where I got it, and I've never tried it. I copied down the recipe that Harborwitch posted. I may have to try that one. Of course, I'm almost out of rum.

How fun we all are!!! Wouldn't it be fun to all get together and have our winter drinkies.

We just got home from Safeway - it was a good thing they had a sale in the liquor dept. We were out of everything! Next is a trip to Costco for MM and some bubbly, oh and some geezer vitamins! (and yes, Jean, one of those cheeses!):LOL::LOL:

HW, I've never seen a hot buttered rum that looked that good to me...mmmm. :ROFLMAO:

Ours is very simple and we only drink it when opening presents on Christmas morning. It's been a tradition in our house for years and I have no idea when or how it started, but it's fun.

We like to drink bourbon and ginger ale. For some reason it's always better at Christmastime.

Wow, HW, your hot buttered rum sounds heavenly. Yum! Yum!

Ishbel said:
I usually prepare mulled wine for carol singers round our way. Here's a thread which

Wow, now I know I must visit my ancestral home! (Scotland) No carol singers here, never ever! I'll have a sip of that mulled wine, thank you!

BTW, my last name is McQuown. Ever heard of the Battle of Bothwell Bridge? That's where a couple of my ancestors were captured and transported from to the "colonies" back in 1679. :)

Fraidy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom