Chicken & Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Cold weather finally hit. And I had 1/2 lb. of chicken thighs in the freezer. So I thawed them out and used them in the following recipe:

3-1/2 lbs. chicken, cut up
water to cover
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 bay leaf
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Place chicken pieces in a deep pot and cover well with water. Add the
poultry seasoning, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil and
reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter and let cool.

Let broth cool slightly; pour through a strainer into another pot. Chill
the broth and skim the fat from the top. Put 3 c. broth back in the pan.
You may need to add more later as needed. Whisk in cream of chicken soup and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring to blend well.

Meanwhile, remove the skin from cooked chicken and discard.

Debone the chicken, tearing into bite-sized pieces. Add to the simmering broth. Continue to simmer on low while you prepare the dumplings. Add more broth as needed; the dumplings will thicken it.

Drop Dumplings:

4 Tbs. vegetable shortening
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. milk (or non-fat buttermilk, even better!)

Combine dry ingredients; cut the shortening in with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Add milk and stir until well mixed. Drop by teaspoonfuls into bubbling soup. Cook 10 minutes uncovered; cover and cook 10 minutes more.

Fraidy

Last edited:
FraidKnot the amount of vegetable shortening for the dumplings is not showing. How many tablespoons are needed? Your recipe sounds so good, thank you for posting!

luvcookin said:
FraidKnot the amount of vegetable shortening for the dumplings is not showing. How many tablespoons are needed? Your recipe sounds so good, thank you for posting!

Sorry, I just corrected the recipe! 4 Tbs. shortening; you could use lard instead. Butter doesn't work well in this dumpling recipe.

Fraidy

FraidKnot said:
Sorry, I just corrected the recipe! 4 Tbs. shortening; you could use lard instead. Butter doesn't work well in this dumpling recipe.

Fraidy

Thank you! I am going to fiqure out how to save your recipe so I can make it after the holidays. :)

FraidKnot, that sounds a nice recipe indeed! The only problem I have is that there are no soup in cans available here (Campbell and the like) so will have to do the soup part from scratch. Will try it when time permits. Thanks for posting it.

boufa06 said:
FraidKnot, that sounds a nice recipe indeed! The only problem I have is that there are no soup in cans available here (Campbell and the like) so will have to do the soup part from scratch. Will try it when time permits. Thanks for posting it.

Hi again boufa06! I found this cream of chicken soup recipe on allrecipes website. Hope this might help you a bit!

Cream of Chicken Soup
4 cups milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 cups finely chopped, cooked chicken meat
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

To make the roux: Heat oil in a 3 quart sauce pan and gradually stir in flour. Stir well to combine and make a paste like consistency. Gradually stir in milk and stir until mixture thickens.

Add chicken to the sauce along with the sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix this well and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.

If soup is not as thick as you would like it to be, add a small amount of corn starch mixed in a small amount of water. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.

Thanks Luv for the recipe. Since the main dish already has chicken in it, I will use chicken stock instead of the cooked chicken meat. Good luck to your dish!

boufa06 said:
Thanks Luv for the recipe. Since the main dish already has chicken in it, I will use chicken stock instead of the cooked chicken meat. Good luck to your dish!

You are very welcome! :)

The "cream of ____" soups are just flavored white sauces basically. For a sub you could even use milk or cream thickened with cornstarch for a quick thickener for the soup.

Thanks for that recipe!! While I have no problem making it on the stovetop, it also looks like something that could easily be adapted to the crockpot!!

Wondering....

Don't mean to step on any toes, but if using buttermilk in the dumplings, shouldn't you use 1/4 tsp. baking soda?
Otherwise, the recipe is super. We fix a similar dish a couple of times a year.

in place of soup just thicken your broth from the chicken cooking with a roux. if there is no boullion availablke to add a bit more flavor to the broth, go with a dash of white wine and herbs like tarragon.

Chicken and dumplings are good...especially with cornbread!!;)

I wish I could duplicate my grand-mother's and my mother's method of rolling the dough out flat...and cutting in strips...and slowly adding them to hot chicken stock/broth....they were really tender as mother's love!!:angel:

Uncle Bob said:
Chicken and dumplings are good...especially with cornbread!!;)

I wish I could duplicate my grand-mother's and my mother's method of rolling the dough out flat...and cutting in strips...and slowly adding them to hot chicken stock/broth....they were really tender as mother's love!!:angel:

I think this is what you are looking for - we also call them slippery dumplings:

DUMPLINGS:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBS. shortening (Crisco)
sprinkling of thyme
6 TBS hot water (tap is fine)

Sift together 1 cup flour, salt, and thyme in a mixing bowl. Add shortening and mix. Add enough water to make dough soft, but not sticky (this usually requires the 6 TBS but start with 4 then add 1 at a time). Wrap dough in plastic wrap for 15 minutes to rest (this is very important). Place dough on floured surface and roll very thin. Cut into squares, strips, keeping flour on them.

Heat broth back up to almost boiling and add dumplings. Gently stir constantly at first to keep them from sticking to each other. Keep lid halfway on pot. The flour still on dumplings will help thicken the broth. Cook dumplings for about 10 minutes, add shredded chicken back to pot and re-heat. Just make sure dumplings are cooked all the way through.

Thanks Miss Elf...

We can come close...with a "short" dough...rolled thin...then simmered/steamed slowly until done...but I suppose nothing can beat
Mom's and Grandmom's ....That would be just plain Un-American!;)

Back
Top Bottom