Where were you born?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, I'm procrastinating. I'm trying to write a column for the local paper, and I got side-tracked. I, personally, have jumped through many hoops because of my birthplace. For my entire professional life, I had to have security passes (post 9-11 these are common, but I've always lived with them). When I'd go to get a new one, I'd get, "What state?" None. "OK, what country?" USA. OK, what state? No state; Washington, D.C. Honest-to-the being, this was at the Pentagon. When I would say "Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.!!!!!" the response I'd get is that there is not a hospital there. I'd reply that I wasn't born yesterday, and there was one in 1955. I still occaisionally run into beaurocracy because I was born in the United States, but not in a state. I have a sister born in Germany and one in France. There are so many people from all over on this site. Where were you born?

claire, as much as i am quite proud of my place of birth, and it would be an interesting thing to find out about everyone, posting personal info that is often used on credit and other legal applications is not a good idea, imo.

well claire, of course i have no personal recollection, but by all accounts, i too was born in a hospital. so i guess that makes two of us.! and not only that, but staggering as the odds may seem, again i too was born in '55. hoodathunkit? :rolleyes:

by the way, being the kind of guy i am, i went ahead and got myself born and raised in rhode island, and by that i mean rhode island, not providence plantations.
icon12.gif

I have a similar problem when people ask where I'm "from". Uh, do you mean where was I born or where do I live now? This is what happens when you're a military brat. :rolleyes: I was born in Oceanside, CA (Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital). I live in Tennessee. I'm not from anywhere!

Fraidy

I was born in Albuquerque in '47; I'll have to call Mom and ask where I came from. Can't say I remember much about it.

I was born about 3 mile from where I live now, my father was born about 300 yards away and my Grandfather was born less than 100 yards away.
I`ve been around the world and now I`m finaly back home again :)

Tipton UK.

Well, duh, I'm FROM my father and mother. Isn't that usually where we're all from? As for where was I born, Omaha, Nebraska. But, like philso, I have no recollection of the event.:LOL: Not part of a military family, but lived in a lot of places. Looks like Kentucky is going to be "home" for the rest of my life. Love it here and have accumulated too much "stuff" to even entertain the thought of moving again.:LOL: Packing up and moving 30 years' worth of it last time did me in. Learned my lesson. Accumulate stuff, just don't move.

FraidKnot, I have a big "where are you from" problem! I always have answered the place I live (I'm from Illinois right now). Anything more gets WAY too complicated. A lot of people insist that I must have some place I consider "home", no matter where I am. Roll of eyes. I'm thinking of making an old fashioned sampler that says something on the order of home is where I hang my hat.

DH and I are both among those who struggle with the "where are you from" question....both "mongrels" and both born with a suitcase to follow our families with. This year our family Christmas cards went to every continent bar one, lol. But we were both born in England, and when I came "home" as a kid to go to school in the south o England, I knew it was HOME. Our family "estate" was sold years and years before I was born, but cmpletely by chance about five years ago I was visiting friends and I mentioned I just loved the landscape and thought it was beautiful, where upon the man of the house pointed at the hedgeline and said,"this would feel like home, your family home has always been about two miles in that direction!" There must have been some kind of genetic pull!

Dh was less sure. For him it has always been either England or Italy. After a few years not living in Italy moving back has been interesting. He says now England is home, but he will always feel culturally Florentine.

Edited to add, by strange coincidence in our families plans both DH and I were born in England, to answer the original question, lol

I was born in a hospital too, next door to the local zoo. I've got better and pretending I don't mind when everyone else in the family laughs at me about it. Anyway, interesting entry for Tipton in the UK in Wikipedia, YT2095. Amazing how much trivia gets in. I've just had a look at the entry for the last place I lived in the UK, Macclesfield, according to The Times newspaper the least cultured place in Britain. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom