Gingerbread Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
These are the squishy variety, not ginger snaps.

1 cup lard or shortening (NOT butter)
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup molasses, fill to 1 cup with corn syrup
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger (scant)
4 cups flour

Blend everything together in order (you know the drill, shortening and sugar, then molasses, then eggs, then dry ingredients). Save a 5th cup of flour for dusting the board when you roll out the dough.

Best to chill this dough, but it works fine without. It is very sticky, and SHOULD be. Use small bits at a time. Roll out to about 1/3 - 1/4 inch thickness, making sure the board and rolling pin are well floured to avoid sticking. Cut out cookies, again making sure your cutters are well floured.

Bake at 325 for 12 minutes. Watch them closely so they don't get overdone.
(They are incredibly good fresh from the oven, but try not to eat too many as too much molasses can have um...a laxative effect on you.)

Alix thanks for posting this recipe. My 5yr old has been bugging me to make gingerbread cookies, i doubt he will eat them (very picky) but he just wants to help make them. Ok so where can i find molases and about how much does this recipe make?

Thank you, cant wait to try it.

It makes a LOT of gingerbread, but it goes fast in our house. Molasses is in any baking aisle. Its easy to find. Look for a small 2 cup size carton. Yellow or white usually.

*Tip: Spray the inside of your measuring cup with Pam before pouring in the molasses and corn syrup. It will all slide right out for you that way.

Back
Top Bottom