A Really Bad Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
My mother had a heart attack on Saturday. She did not have a clot, but an artery spasmed and cut off the blood supply. Now she is unable to walk because her left leg keeps giving away under her. Do any of you have any experience or advice about this kind of thing? Thanks

Carolelaine: I don't have any experience, but just want to say wishing your Mom a speedy recovery.....let's hope she'll get her strength back again and will be able to walk.....be strong!

I don't have any experience either - I too want to wish your mom a speedy recovery and tell her my thoughts and prayers are with her - they are with you too.

Carole,
I'm so sorry to hear of your mothers illness. I wish I could tell you something to ease your hurt. I can't, I can just say that I'll pray for your mother and for you. The advances in medicine grow each day. Stay strong and positive this will encourage your mom to not give up or be quite so frightened.
kadesma

Hi,

My husband had a stroke a few years ago and was completely paralyzed on one side. He came out of it, thanks to good therapy and determination.

Your mom should definitely tell her doctor about her problem. It's possible that the heart attack cut off some blood to a nerve center somewhere, and impaired the function. If so, the sooner she gets into therapy the better, before scar tissue builds up around the injury. This is not something to "tough out" alone.

TexanFrench said:
Hi,

My husband had a stroke a few years ago and was completely paralyzed on one side. He came out of it, thanks to good therapy and determination.

Your mom should definitely tell her doctor about her problem. It's possible that the heart attack cut off some blood to a nerve center somewhere, and impaired the function. If so, the sooner she gets into therapy the better, before scar tissue builds up around the injury. This is not something to "tough out" alone.
I agree with what TF had to say. I am also praying for you and your mom. Please keep us posted and make sure she lets her MD know what she is experiencing. Also make sure someone checks on her in case she falls.

So sorry about your mom, hope she has a speedy recovery. It takes alot of work to get back but with help and determination she will get there.

Carole, I am sure your mum will get back the strength of her left leg with good medical treatment and sheer willpower on her part. My best wishes to her for a speedy recovery and all the best to you and your family.

Thank you everyone. She is working with a physical therapist as of today to regain her ability to walk. We have our fingers crossed. They believe the heart attack was stress related becuase of my fathers terminal cancer. They are giving her medication that should prevent the artery from shutting again. Again thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. We need them. Carol

I do know that she will get plenty of Physical Therapy and my prayers go out to you and your mom. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Wonderful! I'm so glad to hear your mom is getting help. They know lots more about this type of problem than they used to. Some of the things your mom may have to do will be painful at first, but the pain will pass as function is regained. Give her my best wishes.

I have seen my sil come back from total inability to move any part of the left side of her body come back and now be able to walk.

It took over a year, but she had severe condition.

It takes physical therapy, or whatever they call it, by pros.

But it can be done in many cases. Just don't give up.

All best wishes.

Don't have any experience, but good luck. Advice? A good physical therapist. Get her cardiologist to recommend one so that her insurance will cover it. Massage and practice may help her regain the use of the leg. Meanwhile make sure she uses a cane or walker, depending on how unusable that leg is. I've known people with one leg who manage just fine once they get used to it, so get her into therapy. Also if you have a local gym, fitness center, or YMCA that has pool exercise classes, run, don't walk, to sign her up for them. Often depression is the worst part of something like this, and exercise is often the answer. Water exercise supports the body. You don't want her other leg to wither away and be useless as well. Good Luck!

All of this is very good advice. Just be sure she keeps up with whatever the P.T. teaches her. This is from past experiences..
marge~Dove

I can only echo what others have said here, but I wanted to let you know that your mom and family are in my prayers.

Barbara

My father had a heart attack last May. :neutral: He is doing alright now. They put a anti-clot stint in. I dont know about something so severe. :ermm: Her not being able to use her leg properly is very sad indeed. The only thing I can think of is drinking vinegar. 1/2 cup a day and it can be mixed with anything. It should be apple cider vinegar. Also, fish oil in conjunction with the vinegar MIGHT help. Im taking a cup of vinegar daily myself, but for other reasons.
Asprin.... one tablet is known to help blood flow.
But of course Im NO doctor. Rehab and a very soft workout I hear is somewhat effective.
Either way, I will pray that things get much better.

Back
Top Bottom