Tri-ply base vs complete tri-ply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossodio

Assistant Cook
If I am not using a gas stovetop, is there any real benefit of buying pots and pans with a tri-ply base versus tri-ply base and sidewalls? I've looked around long and hard and haven't found a good answer to this question. I will be purchasing a cookware set in the near future, and any info you have on this question would be greatly appreciated.

- R

My All-Clad sauce and fry pans are tri-ply. My only good ss stock pot is a All-Clad 16 qt. disk bottom. I don't own yet, but intend to acquire in ss, a good 6 qt. "dutch oven" or wide stock pot as well as a 12 qt. stock pot. Both of these could be disk bottom.

I'm well satisfied with all of the above decisions. I've also participated in enough these conversations to know that often it is a matter of the need for validation of a decision already made. Good luck and there are many more discussions on the topic available with the search function.

well, I would say buy the best set...the tri ply all the way. THere are no drawbacks to it other than the initial cost. THe others may not cook all your dishes quite the way you want thus requiring duplication of pots etc. and costing you more in the long term.

This is something I tried to figure out as well (I went into the market looking at the 200 dollar Emeril All Clad set which is disc bottom vs. their high end all tri ply stuff). I couldn't find an answer, so I splurged and spent the 600 bucks (well, sort of).

Last edited:
The disk on the bottoms of smaller pans or pans with curved sides such as a skillet, are smaller. If you turn the flame up to medium or higher, the flame will hit the pan beyond the disk on the single ply stainless steel. This can cause hot spots that will burn the food in the pan.

Back
Top Bottom