Nutritional value of baked vs unbaked cupcake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeisuresKitchen

Washing Up
I have this incredible cupcake recipe. I actually got it from the internet. I knew just by looking at the ingredients this particular cupcake was going to be really good because it had the most butter out of all the recipes I researched.
Anyway...if you can believe it, the batter is better than the cupcake. The cupcakes are very good and don't have that eggyolk flavor, which I hate because I can't stand the taste of yolks.. I love a buttery cupcake, but anyway, they are good.
Now the thing is that my husband wants me to make him the cupcakes but he doesn't want me to bake them:huh: he wants to eat the batter!!!:ohmy: now don't get me wrong, I can sit there myself and eat batter all day long! but is there a difference in nutrition if you eat raw batter than a baked cupcake>?

Please let me know, I don't want to give my husband a heart attack. :mellow:

In any dish using uncooked eggs, Caesar salad is one, you run the risk of contracting salmonella. Even though your husband likes the cupcakes unbaked, it would be healthier to enjoy them after they come out of the oven.

I don't have a clue about the nutrition part of your question... My guess would be "about the same" and I did say guess! I do agree with Katie E. Cook them first. I bet if you baked small batches of six ya'll could eat them while still hot and moist..even buttering them after breaking in half.

Remember too much of a good thing can be bad...as far as heart health is concerned. The fat, cholesterol, etc. is what will get you whether in a batter or cooked.

Thanks!

I tell him about the raw egg but he just doesn't care, he's a typical husband. lol
and the thing is that we eat very healthy everyday. He's works out and has a pretty good body, so he thinks he can just sit there and have a bowl of batter. haha

I don't think so. thanks for the confirmation, I will derfinately show him this thread.

The batter has more calories per unit volume than does the cooked cupcake. As the cake cooks, it expands do to the leavening action of the baking powder, or baking soda and acid. This gives of bubbles of carbon dioxide that are trapped by elastic elements in the batter (gluten in wheat flour). So, without icing, the cooked cupcake will have fewer calories and less fat and starches than will batter that takes up the same volume. And, since the cupcakes look so much larger than does the raw batter, he won't comsume as much of the actual componants as he would with the batter.

If he insists on eating raw batter, you can pasteurise the eggs by placing them in 155 degree water for about 20 minutes (check for temp and time accuracy from a reliable source). The heat is enough to kill any nasty little critters (microbes such as salmonella) without setting the egg-white or egg-yolk. This is good if you are making your own mayonaise, egg-nog, or cake batter that someone wants to eat raw.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
...So, without icing, the cooked cupcake will have fewer calories and less fat and starches than will batter that takes up the same volume...

True.

However, if you get 12 baked cupcakes our of the recipe, 1/12 of the raw batter will have about the same caloic and fat content as one of the 12 baked cupcakes.

However, if you're concerned about giving your husband a heart attack, perhaps you shouldn't have selected the recipe with the most butter in it...

If you're only going to eat them raw, just remove the egg. Or you could bake half, divide the batter into two bowls and add half the amount of egg from the recipe to one bowl and leave the other bowl plain. If you remove the egg from the recipe, you're removing some of the calories, so the raw batter would actually be lower in calories and fat than the cooked cupcakes.

Back
Top Bottom