12/10 Special: Pomfret and Squid Ink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
We have a pomfret in the deep waters off Hawaii which is more commonly known as "monchong". If you're ever in Hawaii and you see monchong on the menu, it's pomfret. Most of the time these fish are caught by accident so it's a fish that you can really only run as a special since availability is limited.

Grilled Fillet of Hawaiian Monchong
Whipped Squid Ink Potato Mousseline, Truffled Salad of Apricot, Hearts of Palm, and Micro Herbs, Citrus-Thyme Beurre Blanc

Hi Ironchef, who knew pomfret's were available in Hawaii. I love pomfrets. They have a really delish flavor. I had my fill of them in India. Thanks for sharing this information. Next time I am in Hawaii I will look for monchong.

Yakuta said:
Hi Ironchef, who knew pomfret's were available in Hawaii. I love pomfrets. They have a really delish flavor. I had my fill of them in India. Thanks for sharing this information. Next time I am in Hawaii I will look for monchong.

Yeah I love the flavor as well. Talking to fishermen, they usually catch them while fishing for tuna in deep water, or if they're just trolling lines in deeper water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom