Why do My Macaroons Keep Burning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyDi

Assistant Cook
I am making Coconut Macaroons for the 1st time...and maybe the last...they taste wonderful, the tops toast nicely..I am mounding them to glaze with chocolate...but..the burns burn too quickly..I greased my pans, I put wax paper on my pans and nothing helps......

Is parchment paper my solution...but will they stick to the parchment....

Thanks...Diane

simple recipe...coconut, sweet cond milk....almond & van extract..no egg whites...is this the problem...and I am baking them at 350...thanks June for the quick reply...any help would be appreciated...Diane

Try baking them in the top third of the oven. Also, if you have two cookie sheets that are the same, put one inside the other then bake. The double bottom will insulate the bottoms a bit.

LadyDi said:
simple recipe...coconut, sweet cond milk....almond & van extract..no egg whites...is this the problem...and I am baking them at 350...thanks June for the quick reply...any help would be appreciated...Diane
I can't imagine them without egg whites... or with sweetened condensed milk! Have you eaten these before? Do you know the recipe works?

Does anyone else here have experience with a macaroon recipe like this? I don't have mine on this computer, so I can't really help until tonight.... IF I'm home...

LadyDi, am I correct in thinking these are a heavier, chewy kind of macaroon? Not the meringuey kind most folks think of as macaroons? I think you just need a lower temp in your oven, but I would use Andy's suggestion of the double pan too.

These are heavier and they taste wonderful! I am going to try the parchment paper tonight, lower the temp and move my rack up one more notch...I will let you know how they turn out in the AM.....I am also drizzling these in chocolate...and idea I got from a local bakery.....however at $1 each I decided to try and make my own...

Thanks to everyone for the help! Diane

oh they sound so delicious, Diane!!

Another sugestion (as if you didn't have enough already!) is to perhaps use a silpat liner (in addition to the top third of the oven and the double pan theory)

Best of luck!

And, when they do come out well, please feel free to share the recipe!

The recipe I have always used (thanks to the kindergarten teacher both daughters had) is the one that was on the back of a Bakers Coconut bag. It makes a very good, chewy (not too much) macaroon. Living at a higher altitude, I have to turn down the temp and watch carefully to keep them from over-baking.

What are the macaroons "most" people think of?

Are they the ones I made? With chocolate. Or the ones discussed about here.

gobo, I think of macaroons as being a type of coconut cookie. Many times these were either drizzled with chocolate or dipped completely in chocolate after being baked. The meringue type were always called meringues or cookie kisses. Could just be the area I grew up in. Gobo, just looked at your thread and yes, I would say you most definitely made some chocolate macaroons!!!

Last edited:
Alright. Thanks.
I could picture those burning easily.
I think mine were in at 350 for 10 or 12 mins....

Living at a higher altitude, I have to turn down the temp and watch carefully to keep them from over-baking.
:ohmy: oops! I completely forgot about that possibility!

Yes, Diane, please DO post the recipe! :)

Just glad to help!! I don't remember using any egg whites (been quite a long time since I made these); but I do know that you do need to take them off the baking sheet ( I always use parchment) while they are still very warm. Also, take them out of the oven a couple of minutes sooner as you would regular cookies as they do have a carry over baking time.

Macaroons were a success! Parchment paper, lowering the oven temp to 325 and moving the rack up proved to be the key....

Here's the recipe:

3 cups shredded coconut
1 cup sweet cond milk
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Mix together...I used and ice cream scoop....drop onto parchment paper, mound them up.....bake for about 15mins........let them cool on the parchment for about 5 mins...when I removed them to the baking rack I molded them a little while they were still warm.......after cooling completly, drizzle with Ghiradhelli chocolate....

Great that it worked for you this time!!! Your recipes is so like the one I used; the only problem I had was keeping everyone from eating them right a way!!!!!

LadyDi...will be looking for the recipe soon. Macaroons, I usually heat oven 300 (slow). Let stand at room temperature until cool. (This insures rounded macaroons.). All the above recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom