All Of My Recipes Are Gone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
in houston, texas, a car is burglarized about every 15 seconds or so... and yesterday after work, it was my turn. while working out at the gym, in BROAD daylight and approximately 20 yards from the front entrance of the gym at about 4:45 pm, all my recipes went walking.

they left my wallet but stole my checkbooks. they left my CD case with over 100 CD's and left a $275 pair of oakley shades as well.

however, they did steal my work laptop which contain ALL of my recipes... ALL OF THEM-AND RIGHT BEFORE A HUUUUUUUUUGE COOKOUT THIS WEEKEND!

yesterday was NOT a good day.:(

I've just read this, black chef, after reading Reanie's venting post. The world is all messed up, for sure. Sorry to hear about your recipes.

omg, I am sooo sorry BC. There have been alot of computer burglars around here too. I just don't keep anything in my car anymore. I can't imagine having a computer stolen with all my personal info on it. Well, the police will send your serial # to the pawn shops and hopefully it will be recovered.

A blind girl in the Atlanta area had 3 computers set up to recognize her voice and so much software to help her 'read'...they were all stolen from her house and worth about $30,000. I hope the thieves find it in their hearts to return those.

Last edited:
:mad: :mad: :mad: GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I've had my car broken into several times right before Xmas. Always for my radio and oakleys! Never recipes though!

Can we help you with any recipes?

Oh, man! I am so sorry!
I don't guess you had your files backed up on CD? I did my recipes a while back, but I need to do it with my family photos.

VERY sad indeed. At least some of your recipes are posted here - you can "recover" those. I am so sorry that happened - it's not a good feeling. Hugs coming your way.

if theres karma in this world, they will try and make some of your recipies and food poison themselfs

thanks for the comments, team...

so far, no luck with the recovery of the machine... that's the bad news.

the good news is that all of my checking accts, etc. were put "on hold," and so far, there have been NO CHARGES to any of my accounts; so i'm good on that end.

as for the recipes... i know most by heart for main courses; it was the dessert recipes that i'd worked soooooooooo hard to perfect that are gone forever.

sweet potato bread
butternut squash pie
etc.

i guess i'll just have to get back in the kitchen... crank up the oven, and get to baking again.

and no... this does NOT feel good at all.

black chef I am so sorry for your loss. I always say what goes around comes around and the car thiefs will get theirs.

Hopefully you backed up your receipes. Again I am so very sorry.

It ticks me off way beyond belief when people steal stuff!:furious: My fingers are crossed that they'll find your laptop! I know first hand how it feels to have something stolen. Back during the summer someone stole my son's motorcycle (it was one of those crotch rocket pocket bikes) out of our driveway. It was chained to the basketball goal & they even took the chain with them after they cut it off.:rolleyes: They left the $3,000 pressure washer that was sitting right next to it along with a bunch of tools & other stuff. We filed a police report & gave the detective pics of the bike but they never found it.:(

Sorry to hear of your misfortune black chef. I know how it feels to lose all those nice recipes you have worked on and cherished. Not even money can buy that! In any case you have DC to turn on whenever you need a specific recipe. So put this incident behind you and cheer up! All the best for a Happy & Merry Christmas!

that really sucks black chef. too bad you didn't have one of these: LoJack for Laptops - Stolen Computer Recovery Service

i feel your pain. i've had my car broken in to several times in the city over the years. like you, they took some stuff, like a beavis and butthead visor clip and old, cheap sunglasses, but they left other valuable stuff like a big bag of quarters for the parking meters, and an expensive hunting knife.

the worst was when, like a dumb a$$, i left my tackle box in the trunk. they stole it, making away with fishing reels and lures that were my dad's or grandfather's from ireland, some over 100 years old. if i ever see that tackle box next to a guy fishing in the hudson river, he's going in the river and i'm taking my box back! :devilish:

now, i vigilantly make sure there's nothing left in my truck that can be stolen, or that i care about.

i'll keep my fingers crossed that the thief will do something stupid to get caught, and you'll get your laptop back.

Big Bummer! I had my pocketbook stolen this summer and it took months to get it straightened out, mainly because of automatic checking withdrawals (I had to open a new account--you should also). Be sure that checks that are outstanding aren't "bounced"--another gift that keeps on giving!!
List your name with Equifax--and report it to the police. This could come back months later (since they specifically stole the checkbook). You need a new account--as I said.
Son's home was broken into and computer stolen--PICTURES of DGS!!!!
Backup, people!!

Sorry Chef, I hate a thief. Never leave your billfold or check books in your car. Nothing is safe now a days.Sorry about your lap top, I don't suppose your insurence will cover that.

Oh my, BC - I can't even imagine your loss - it would be like loosing a part of your life, for heaven's sake. I hope you'll yell for help if you get stuck recreating your lost dessert recipes!! At least to give you a push in the right direction.

The hair on the back of my neck is standing up at the thot of losing my recipes....

I am so sorry, it is bad enough that you get your computer stolen, but it is utterly unforgivable that anyone will pinch from you something personal which no money can replace. :censored:

We always keep two backup disks for our particularly important files just in case.
I really hope you can recover many of your recipes somehow, and remember we are always here to help you with that!

There is nothing lower than a thief! We had two former employees here break in and clean all the cash they could find out, along with tools, fishing gear, and goodness only knows what else we'll find missing.

A couple years ago the local police called to ask if there was a reason that a person they had in custody would have a book of my checks. #ell NO!!! She claimed she found them in the dumpster. #ell NO! Half of me says whack their hands off! Had to call the bank and put alerts for all of the checks in that book. What a pain.

Back
Top Bottom