Cornbread recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
Does anyone have a recipe for a nice sweet cornbread?
If you have ever eaten at Montanas... that is what I'm thinking when I think of cornbread... it's the only cornbread I have had.

Gobo, don't make me come over there. I know you are tired, but hit the SEARCH function! You goofball! There are more than two pages of hits for that. Don't be a lazy butt!

Sorry Alix... my brain has been slowing down on me the last few days.
Next week is my last week before the christmas break... I'm going to have to work like crazy over that time... so I think I'm gonna get worse.

I found one
Thanks

Just putting it here so I can find it easier later

2 c Bisquick
1 c butter
1 c Half & Half
1 c yellow cornmeal
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Scald cream with butter. Add to thoroughly mixed dry ingrediants. Mix in eggs.

Pout into a greased and floured 13 X 9-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

How about this one....

1 cup meal
2 Tbl. flour
1 egg
2 or 3 Tbl oil...(I probably use more)
Enough buttermilk/milk to make a batter

Heat a cast iron skillet with 2 Tbl. oil...(in the pre-heated oven or on top of the stove..Pour batter into hot oiled skillet. pop it in the oven at 375* until done...nice and brown. Slide the pone out of the skillet and cut into wedges..serve with plenty of butter.

I don't think I've ever had sweet cornbread. Wouldn't that taste odd with chili or stew?

Alix said:
I don't think I've ever had sweet cornbread. Wouldn't that taste odd with chili or stew?

I realize sweet cornbread is a Northern thing. Southerners in general perfer it less sweet. Alix, you should give it a try. It's great with chili or whatever.

Try a box of Jiffy cornbread mix to get an idea of whether or not you'll like it, or make the East Coast Grill recipe. It's a snap to do.

Andy, I don't think I've ever seen Jiffy cornbread mix. I have to admit, cornbread is not a real popular item around here. I've made it a time or two, but I make mine with no sugar in it and its to go with stew primarily. I made cornmeal cake and muffins, but they were not the same texture. I can't imagine what a sweet cornbread would taste like with a savoury dish, but if you say its tasty I'll give it a go. Thanks Andy.

Sweet cornbread is what I was talking about at the beginning.
I'm not sure what the mix is... but there are little bins in the freezer we sell to people... maybe I'll take a look at that.

What is jiffy mix?
The jiffy I know is jiffy pop which is the popcorn in the tin you can put on the oventop

Back
Top Bottom