Raw Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Candocook said:
Actually the American Heart Association and its dietary recommendations don't have a real high rate of staving off heart problems. They were the ones that devised the original food pyramid a number of years ago that was supposed to cut down on heart disease.

I think it was the United States Department of Agriculture that was responsible for the pyramid recommendations, not the AHA.

bethzaring said:
When I was in school, I did a project of watching the American Heart Associations publications. What I observed many years ago is that their dietary recommendations were not based on scientific research. The AHA's dietary recommendations were based on who gave them the most money.

I believe this - I did some studies on nutrasweet and the FDA - it is quite sad.

Like milk, some folks just cannot tolerate them. It does not lower the nutrient value of either milk or eggs.
People have consumed an egg, a slice of raw liver, and even a goldfish on a dare and no telling how many doggie biscuits.
Due to the conditions of the ocean/sea, sometimes it is okay to eat shell fish and some years they should be left alone.
The air we breath is the same. Try doing without some for a minute or two.

urmaniac13 said:
I would never swallow a raw egg myself, though we use raw eggs in our Tiramisu and some other sweets, also in many of the recipes eggs are at the point of "rare". (for example, spaghetti alla carbonara, egg is heated only by the freshly boiled piping hot spaghetti while being tossed together)
In these cases, we make darn sure to use the fresh eggs, produced within 2 days.

Yes, eggs are great asset for your balanced healthy diet, as long as, as Andy said, you eat them in moderation.
When I was a girl on my uncles' farms, we always washed the eggs before we used them. soapy water, and then rinse in clear water. I especially do that these days when I'm making something using raw eggs.

As for eating eggs, they're still "The Incredible, Edible Egg," and probably the most perfect source of protein, but, as Julia Child always said; "All things in moderation!" ;)

I've never been scared of raw eggs in recipes. You can always be sure they are pasturized and fresh. My Caseser salad dressing would not be near the same without a raw egg yolk. It's a killer recipe that I do not intend to play with!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom