Raw Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I don't want to think my mother was wrong but this has always bothered me. When we were all at home, our mother used to fix us raw eggs w/banana and milk. If it wasn't oatmeal, she would give us this for breakfast. Since that time drinking raw eggs is supposedly not good for you. Our mother grew up on a farm and her family drank the same thing. I still think eggs have food value even if everyone says differently.

You think eating organic eggs would be wrong too?

Thanks

My mom used to put a raw egg in a glass of milk with some sugar and cinnamon and give it a couple of stirs with a spoon and called it eggnog. That was breakfast for a long time.

Current information states that one egg in 20,000 can have salmonella contamination. The risk is clearly low.

Eggs are high in protein but also very high in cholesterol and fat. Eat them in moderation if you like them.

I would never swallow a raw egg myself, though we use raw eggs in our Tiramisu and some other sweets, also in many of the recipes eggs are at the point of "rare". (for example, spaghetti alla carbonara, egg is heated only by the freshly boiled piping hot spaghetti while being tossed together)
In these cases, we make darn sure to use the fresh eggs, produced within 2 days.

Yes, eggs are great asset for your balanced healthy diet, as long as, as Andy said, you eat them in moderation.

Last edited:
Organic eggs are just eggs from hens raised under different/stringent conditons. Eggs are an excellent food. Their role in cholesterol has changed recently also. I drank raw egg eggnogs as a child also and probably would today, if I wanted one.
And I don't think I have really heard anyone say they don't have food value. That flies in the face of fact. For 100 calories, you get a lot of nutrition.

I agree eggs have food value, but at a high price.

The American Heart Association healthy heart diet for individuals with heart problems or who have had a heart attack is a maximum of 200 mg of cholesterol daily. For healthy individuals, the limit is 300 mg per day. Eggs, with over 200 mg of cholesterol per egg are not the best way to get the nutrition you need.

I make eggnog every Christmas -- from RAW eggs -- and no one has ever gotten sick on them. Fresh eggs, properly handled, kept chilled or heated to the proper temp... use your good sense... :chef:

Andy M. said:

The American Heart Association healthy heart diet for individuals with heart problems or who have had a heart attack is a maximum of 200 mg of cholesterol daily. For healthy individuals, the limit is 300 mg per day. Eggs, with over 200 mg of cholesterol per egg are not the best way to get the nutrition you need.

Andy, it's my understanding (although I haven't read them myself) that there are several studies out now that show that the dietary cholesterol in eggs has little to no impact on blood cholesterol. While I've read this several times in the past year or two, even the "Living Better" heart health series of advertisements on the radio report this.

The general school of thought re eggs these days is that one or two a day is not only acceptable, but even recommended (of course it depends on who you talk to) without having any negative impact on blood triglycerides.

I'm not a doctor, though...so this post is just a recounting of my understanding of information that I've heard and/or seen.

jennyema said:
Who says eggs don't have food value?

the original post implied that.

My scientific study of nutrition taught that dietary cholestrol, including eggs, has no effect on human blood serum cholestrol levels. Saturated fats DO elevate blood serum cholestrol. Eggs also have saturated fats, but in the nutrition community, eggs are considered an excellent food, not to be avoided.

Last edited:
Still Here

I guess I am among group who had raw eggs when they were young. Great! And we are all still here. I don't think eggs have changed that much that one should avoid them. I love them no matter how they are fixed. Really like to make different meals w/them but one thing family not fond of. Quiche not allowed and i do like it when i fix it. what is better than crisp bacon in scrambled egg?

Thanks for your time. Does make me feel like I am not alone in this view of eggs. I do like home made egg nog the best.

Oh God - the raw eggs when we were young thing is what turned me off tosoft-cooked eggs, raw oysters, & anything else that had/has that slimy gloopy texture.

My parents used to regularly make us "milkshakes" with a raw egg in it, & one time dad didn't blend it quite long enough. The feeling of those slimy bits of raw eggs sliding down my throat have stayed with me the rest of my life. Yuck.

So to this day, while I love eggs - & oysters - cooked. They must be cooked - & well cooked - lol!!!

When I was a young kid my mom became quite ill a few times. Pop would not want to eat, and was taking care of the house, two rug rats, and going to work.

But he would take an egg or two, toss them in a glass of milk, and chug it down.

We used to make raw egg egg nog but have not done so recently. Would do so again but not for company since just don't want to deal with the hassle of answering questions about the stuff, having folks shun it, and having a problem if someone gets a tummy ache and blames it on the nog.

Hate the idea of the food police looking over my shoulder, but can get a pretty good egg nog at the local supermarket and avoid any conflicts.

The last time I had a raw egg was during **** Night as a fraternity pledge. I won't tell you what they told me it was and being blindfolded I coudn't see. Not that I would have wanted to. As for cholesterol, I am one of those people who can eat berries and twigs and still have absurdely high cholesterol. Do you think that will stop me from eating eggs? Not on your life. Everything in moderation. Smile every day and don't think the world is always out to get you. It just sometimes is. :rolleyes:

I've eaten my share of raw eggs and would have no problem doing so now. I just don't make a habit of it. It's the "all things in moderation" thing. For heaven's sake, we don't eat a meal like Thanksgiving dinner every day either.

Yes, auntdot, I also find the food police a bit bothersome. IMHO I think they should keep their noses out of my pantry and off my plate.:)

When I was in high school we drank raw eggs for endurance or that is what we thought. No one every got sick. In the Army we had them everyday for breakfast. I would worry more about the idiot talking on the cell phone when driving than I would eggs.

later

I've never hesitated to lick the mixer bowl and beater when we bake with raw eggs. No problems so far...

Cooked eggs are a very economical source of good dietary protein. They are often on sale for 79¢ a dozen in our area. I can make two nice cheese, onion or mushroom omelets for about $1 total.

Organic eggs have no advantages over standard eggs from what Im told.
Either way, having an uncooked egg is really asking for trouble. :ermm:
I like my somewhat painless life too much. :-p

Andy M. said:

I would guess that this high risk population has several other dietary restrictions/suggestions as well.
Actually the American Heart Association and its dietary recommendations don't have a real high rate of staving off heart problems. They were the ones that devised the original food pyramid a number of years ago that was supposed to cut down on heart disease. It didn't. It has now been superseded by the Mediterranean pyramid and the Harvard Medical School pyramid.
I am by NO means suggesting to fly in the face of good common sense eating habits, or not heeding good medical advice. But much of it changes and changes often.
Even my DFIL who had bypass surgery was allowed "two identifiable eggs"/week--as in 2 over easy. And that recommendation changed before he died to being allowed more--if he wanted.

When I was in school, I did a project of watching the American Heart Associations publications. What I observed many years ago is that their dietary recommendations were not based on scientific research. The AHA's dietary recommendations were based on who gave them the most money.

Back
Top Bottom