All Clad vs. Calphalon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
I have seen a number of posting regarding All Clad SS pans. From what I have read it seems to be the best out there for a number of you. I truly believe in quality myself. I purchsed a number of Calphalon One pans last year and have been extremely happy with them. They sear meats nicely, handle high heats and are oven proof, hot spots are not a problem and clean up very easily. I bought my 12 inch sautee pan for $70 last year new. I looked at the prices of the all clad and am not sure how they could perfrom that much better. Could someone enlighten me?

Braised and confused,

JDP

The Calphalon is anodized aluminum in one form or another, while the A-C is tri-ply stainless. I would suspect that the manufacturing cost to make a tri-ply pan is higher than the cost to make an anodized pan.

Also, the A-C SS is dishwasher safe and has a much more durable surface inside and out than the Calphalon. The anodized finish of the Calphalon can be scratched or worn off, exposing the raw aluminum.

They both cook very well and some folks have a preference for one pan material vs the other.

Finally, All-Clad charges more because they can. You can buy comparable quality tri-ply stainless cookware for a lot less. Some of it from Calphalon.

I understand that material costs and manufacturing can add to the cost. As for dishwasher safe Calphalon isn't technically but I have a freind who has had his set of Calph. Commercial for 7-8 years and he still puts it into the dishwasher. Although it voids the warranty I have seen any ill effects to them. As with my knives I also prefer to wash my pans by hand besides they take up alot of space in the dishwasher, If you use 3-4 pans to prep your meal your washer has no room for plates. Yes you can damage the surface but it takes a lot of effort. My buddy again has abused his pans to the point of using them for blackening directly over red hot coals I'm a bit more careful with them as I would be with any of my tools.

What I am looking for is a difference in performance. For example if you were to make a veal piccatta in each pan would you see a difference in performance or product. Does the SS surface scratch? It has been my experience that SS tables and appliances will scratch fairly easily if you were to use a scouring pad on them? I'm asking this for future reference in the event that I add to my pan collection.

Thanks,
JDP

As I said earlier, both sets are great to cook with. They are both quality brands and products. You would not be able to tell the difference in veal piccata or any other dish.

SS does scratch fairly easily.

That's why many of the SS cookware will have a brushed finish on thier bottoms and or on the cooking surface and to the side but to a lesser extent..

Calphalon One Infused cookware has negated one of the main reasons the SS enthusiasts give for buying SS.

That being the brown bits stuck to the bottom the pan to make a pan sauce out of it.

Back
Top Bottom