Peace be with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, this is going to be a weird thread. Just going to warn you of that right up front.

Lately, folks are crabbier than usual. Little things are getting our panties in a bunch and people are flying off the handle about weird things. I'm including myself in this category. I hope all of you who read this take a look at yourself and your recent behaviours. And please don't feel this is specifically targeted at any ONE person. Its really really not. Its an observation about a lot of things.

Typically, this is a busy and stressful time of year for people. So what do we do? We come to the internet to surf and relax. But when we get here we find little things (or sometimes big things) that bug us and we react. Hmmm, perhaps NOT the best idea. The reaction often starts a vicious cycle of things.

Can we all just take a collective deep breath and agree to relax a bit? Don't sweat the small stuff. We have a phrase we use at work, MBA. That means Minor But Annoying. There are plenty of those posts flying around here from time to time. Posts that are seemingly random, or posts that are blatantly immature and foolish, but are really in the grand scheme of things, harmless. Can we just let that go a bit? If you really can't let them go, then can you deal with them appropriately? Gently telling someone in a PM might work. Might not, but hey, its a good first step and a whole lot nicer than a rant.

We are a community of vastly different ages, cultural backgrounds, languages and other things. Don't expect everyone to think as you do, and be TOLERANT of differences. Folks are not saying "you are wrong" most of the time. More likely they are saying "this works for me". It just might not come across that way. If you feel like someone is being disrespectful to you there is a very polite and gentle way to find out. Use "I" messages. Try saying, "I read your post this way, is that what you meant?" or, "I felt _______ when I read your post. Did you mean ______ or did I read it wrong?"

I hope no one takes offence to this. Its just a little observation and suggestion. I hope that if you've read this you will continue on and take a deep breath or two as the days go by.

And so, from me to all of you, Peace be with you.

And just to add to what Alix said, if you really get to a point where someone is consistently bothering you then we do have a feature that a lot of people may not know exists.

The feature is the ignore feature. If you put someone on your ignore list then you will no longer see posts from that person.

To use this feature just click on the members name from within a thread who you would like to ignore. Then click on View Public Profile. Then in the blue bar just under their name and over their signature you will see Add member to Your Ignore List. Just click that then click submit and you will no longer see posts from that user.

I agree totally with Allix and I even find that the people who sell the Holiday gifts are a little crabby.

I just say that it will be over soon and peace be with me.

And also with you, Alix. And everybody else.

I've been experiencing - and contributing, have to confess - to a lot of sniping at work, and it's getting me down. So today driving in to the office I decided to drop it for at least through the Christmas season. Feel much better already.

Probably will help that tomorrow is my last day of work until Jan. 3.

In the real world, you take the bitter with sweet. That's what makes the world go round. If it was all sweetness and light here, and everyone agreed with everyone else, it would be a very boring place to visit. We have a rainbow of personalities here and we are all unique. There is no excuse for rudeness or hurtful posts, but I feel we can express our points of view, when asked, in a respectful manner. My name is Wasabi and I approve this message.:)

wasabi said:
In the real world, you take the bitter with sweet. That's what makes the world go round. If it was all sweetness and light here, and everyone agreed with everyone else, it would be a very boring place to visit. We have a rainbow of personalities here and we are all unique. There is no excuse for rudeness or hurtful posts, but I feel we can express our points of view, when asked, in a respectful manner. My name is Wasabi and I approve this message.:)

Yes, well said Alix. Kofi Annan is leaving and if his replacement hadn't already been found, I'd have voted for you :) .

... but also well said Wasabi! GB had said once it was like a brother-sister relationship here, meaning, that there would be little episodes of snippiness, but they didn't really mean anything and were soon put behind us. I like the liveliness of a bit of disagreement for one thing, and I respect the honesty behind it. But also, I think it serves a purpose -- isn't one of the main functions of this site for us all to learn from each other? How in heaven's name will we ever do that if we all feel bound by political correctness and politeness to never even say "boo!" to one another?

I think it's time for a group hug!!
3.gif

I have been pretty quiet & low key lately because of the simple fact that I just don't know when this rumbling volcano inside of me is going to erupt. I just have to make myself take a step back & breathe.But, that's not the point right now, I agree with everything that's been said in this thread so far. I wish you all peace, calmness, & joy!!

Ayrton said:
Yes, well said Alix. Kofi Annan is leaving and if his replacement hadn't already been found, I'd have voted for you :) .

Good call, Ayrton! She gets my vote, too:rolleyes:

kudos to alix, but also wasabi and mudbug. i decided yesterday to drop all of the bs and just enjoy the season. every moment of life is precious.

hmmm, the ignore function.

well, you just know that i have to ask. :ohmy:

if someone puts you on their ignore list, but you haven't "ignored" them, can you still see their posts, or do they disappear from the forum (to you) entirely?

it would make for an interesting dynamic, seeing parts of conversations, others missing.

with enough deduction, you can figure out who's ignoring you.

this could be fun.:angel:

I have never tested it out (admins can't use the ignore feature for obvious reasons), but I believe that you would still be able to see posts from someone who has you on their ignore list.

Ignore?

buckytom said:
kudos to alix, but also wasabi and mudbug. i decided yesterday to drop all of the bs and just enjoy the season. every moment of life is precious.

hmmm, the ignore function.

well, you just know that i have to ask. :ohmy:

if someone puts you on their ignore list, but you haven't "ignored" them, can you still see their posts, or do they disappear from the forum (to you) entirely?

it would make for an interesting dynamic, seeing parts of conversations, others missing.

with enough deduction, you can figure out who's ignoring you.

this could be fun.:angel:

You are one person I would never ignore. I agree w/everything you say. Keep it up. Hope no one stops you from speaking your mind. I like that. Reminds me of minister I once had. But that was when I was young person. Can't find those kind around anymore.

Thank you for the votes Ayrton and urmaniac, I am LMAO, they would boot me in a NY minute I assure you. I don't vent my temper publicly very often, but trust me, I DO vent! LOL.

I don't want anyone to think that I don't respect the discussions we have here, when they are done appropriately. Ayrton, I have mentioned before I think you debate beautifully. As do you BT, and kudos to you both for that. I mostly just want folks to take a deep breath and stop focussing on all the negative things we see. There are so many positive things on this board and lately what I have been hearing is nitpicky and negative. And so I for one am going to try to focus on all the wonderful people we have here and all the fun I see. Thanks for being such a wonderful part of my day everyday folks. I appreciate you all.

Alix said:
Thank you for the votes Ayrton and urmaniac, I am LMAO, they would boot me in a NY minute I assure you. I don't vent my temper publicly very often, but trust me, I DO vent! LOL.

I don't want anyone to think that I don't respect the discussions we have here, when they are done appropriately. Ayrton, I have mentioned before I think you debate beautifully. As do you BT, and kudos to you both for that. I mostly just want folks to take a deep breath and stop focussing on all the negative things we see. There are so many positive things on this board and lately what I have been hearing is nitpicky and negative. And so I for one am going to try to focus on all the wonderful people we have here and all the fun I see. Thanks for being such a wonderful part of my day everyday folks. I appreciate you all.

I think I must of missed something as I was not as active on here for awhile.......anyway I do agree with your post.....Ok.....you get my Karma vote :) !

Alix

Ditto to you too! We all appreciate you too and I personally thank you for all the interest you take in my daily problems. No one else seems to have time except the people on this site. Before the year ends, I just want to send big thanks to all my special friends. Thanks! Now I feel better.

Back
Top Bottom