Chicken Stew recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRsTXDeb

Senior Cook
This recipe is probably 100 years old....and still as good today as it was when I was in grade school [not saying how long, but long enough!] it's better the 2nd and 3rd day and was excellent last night with some corn bread dressed up with bacon, corn, serrano pepper and green onion!

Courtland [AL] Chicken Stew
1 large hen
2 large onions, chopped fine
4 1# cans tomatoes
8 large potatoes
1 tbsp salt
1/3 teaspoon black pepper - I use more
1/4 tsp red pepper
2 TBSP vinegar
1/2 # butter if hen is not fat - leave it out if you must, but a little bit is good!
1 can tomato paste
1 17 oz cans white corn [I've used frozen white and yellow]

Boil hen in small amount of salted water. When done remove bones and skin/fat and cut up. Return chicken to stock. [*I cook chicken with some onion, celery, salt]. Put potatoes into stock whole, add remaining ingredients except corn. Cook until potatoes are done take a potato masher and smush up the potatoes in the pot [the original says mash them and return, but I like chunks of potato in mine]. Add the corn after the stew is nearly done. Cooking time is about 5 hours [and worth every minute!!!!] This is better the next day - I can tell mine is done when the chicken is shredded to bits.

Here is another:

Spicy Chicken Bean and Barley Stew:

Seasoning:

1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp minced garlic

Stew:

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bit-size pieces
2 tsp olive oil
1 med onion chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup quick-cooking barley
2 cups low salt chicken broth
1 cup water
1 (14.5oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
1 (15.5oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4oz) can green chiles, chopped and reserving 2 tbsp

Toppings:

2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
reserved 2 tbsp green chiles

In small bowl, combine all seasoning ingredients; mix well. In med bowl, combine all chicken pieces with half of the seasoning mixture; toss to coat. Reserve remaining seasoning.

Heat oil in dutch oven or large saucepan over med-high heat until hot. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 5-6 min or until lightly browned. Add bell peppers; cook and stir an additional couple min or until vegies are crisp-tender. Add barley, chicken broth, water, tomatoes and remaining seasoning mixture; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 min or until barley is just tender and chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans and chiles, simmer another 15 min. To serve, top with sour cream or chiles, if desired... makes 6 servings.

Thanks for the recipes, I love chicken and I love stews and soups. I like to cook my chicken in the crock pot. It seems to keep in the flavor. I usually cook mine at night and it sure does smell good in the morning when I wake up. I will definately try these soups.

Jude

Here's one that's a little taste of the 'Low Country'!

CAROLINA BRUNSWICK STEW

10-12 servings

3lbs.chicken parts
1lb.pork shoulder
6cups water
2 large onions
3 potatoes cubed
1 lemon, sliced/seeded
1T mustard
1T salt
1T worchestershire
2 jalapenos
1tsp. pepper
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cups fresh corn cut off cob
1 10oz.pkg.baby lima beans

Brown meats in Dutch oven in oil; add enough water to barely cover; bring to a boil, cover and simmer til meat is tender. Remove chicken, discard skin and pull meat off bones into bite sized chunks, or shred. Return meat to broth. Add onions, potatoes, lemon, mustard, salt, worchestershire, jalapeno and black pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer til potatoes are tender. Add tomatoes and lima beans, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add corn, cover and simmer 5 minutes or til corn is cooked.

Back
Top Bottom