Too much shortening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I pulled out my handy dandy Better Homes and Gardens cookbook this evening to make some basic chocolate chip cookies and they were horrible!! :sick:The dough smelled and tasted like the shortening.:yuk: I used the correct amount and did everything the way I was supposed, even slowly pouring in the flour, not putting it all in at once. Could someone help me out?? :unsure:

I agree with Cando. Shortnening can go rancid--developing a strong, bitter flavor if it is not fresh. It can also be the wrong kind of shortening for a particular task. For example, olive oil would be the wrong kind of shortening for your cookies because the taste of olive oil is wrong for cookies.

Does this help?

It does help...I think the shortening was bad, the last time I used it was about a year or so ago. I am pretty sure I used the right type of shortening that the recipe called because that's what I have used before and they came out ok. Could I subsitute butter for the shortening? Or will the cookies come out flat and crispy? Thank you both for your help...being new to the cooking world I thought I was doomed if I couldn't make something as basic as chocolate cookies!:unhappy: :santa:

I usually use real butter in my cookies. They always come out okay. I hardly ever use crisco type shortening in my cookies.

Mrs. Cuillo said:
It does help...I think the shortening was bad, the last time I used it was about a year or so ago. I am pretty sure I used the right type of shortening that the recipe called because that's what I have used before and they came out ok. Could I subsitute butter for the shortening? Or will the cookies come out flat and crispy? Thank you both for your help...being new to the cooking world I thought I was doomed if I couldn't make something as basic as chocolate cookies!:unhappy: :santa:

That's your culprit. Smell "stuff" before you use it! You can use butter or margarine for your shortening--or just get some fresh. Put in the fridge after opening.

I think I will just stick with butter if they will turn out ok. Thank you all again for your help!! Merry Christmas!!:santa:

I tried it with butter and they came out MUCH better. I think I will stick with the butter all the time. They taste sweeter. Another question, what if a recipe calls for both? :ermm: Will that ever happen? Can I use only butter or should I use the shortening as well as butter?

You can stick with butter, for sure. I know some recipe's do call for both, and I have never been unsatisfied just stucking to butter.

You can also try playing with different types of butter, that's always a fun twist: Danish butter, Sweet Cream butter, Whipped butter.. all different textures and tastes, you may find one you like more! :)

Mrs. Cuillo said:
I tried it with butter and they came out MUCH better. I think I will stick with the butter all the time. They taste sweeter. Another question, what if a recipe calls for both? :ermm: Will that ever happen? Can I use only butter or should I use the shortening as well as butter?

If the recipe calls for both, use both. But, keep your shortening in the fridge, it will last longer.

stinemates said:
You can stick with butter, for sure. I know some recipe's do call for both, and I have never been unsatisfied just stucking to butter.

You can also try playing with different types of butter, that's always a fun twist: Danish butter, Sweet Cream butter, Whipped butter.. all different textures and tastes, you may find one you like more! :)

Hi, me again...

I love using Danish or any european butter, the flavour is soooooo much more satisfying. I wouldn't use whipped butter for baking, however. A cup of whipped butter is not the same as a cup of stick butter. The first has lots more air than product and it will make a drier, more brittle cookie.

A 3 lb can of shortening takes up a lot of cupboard space. I would rather pay a little extra for a small can if I don't have much need for it. I don't think shortening, lard, etc. has a long shelf life.

It does help...I think the shortening was bad, the last time I used it was about a year or so ago.

I couldn't take looking at a large can of shortening in the fridge very long but maybe a small can in a storeage bind of the refrigerator.

stinemates said:

Thank you for the idea! I will have to try a different type.:)

Welcome to DC!!!:chef:

VeraBlue said:
Hi, me again...

I love using Danish or any european butter, the flavour is soooooo much more satisfying. I wouldn't use whipped butter for baking, however. A cup of whipped butter is not the same as a cup of stick butter. The first has lots more air than product and it will make a drier, more brittle cookie.

Thank you Vera for the heads up on the whipped butter!! You are always very helpful!!;)

StirBlue said:

I couldn't take looking at a large can of shortening in the fridge very long but maybe a small can in a storeage bind of the refrigerator.

I might have to invest in a small can like you said. Thank you for your input:)

- definitely use your nose with anything old. unrefridgerated fats can go rancid just over the course of a summer. rancid fats are linked to increased risk of cancer.
- greasing pans or waxed paper is about the only thing i ever use shortening for.
- i can't think of anything you can't use butter for instead of shortening, other than for deep-fat frying. if a recipe calls for both, i think it's just compromising by trying to get the buttery taste but yet still save a couple of pennies by using shortening.
- you can use whipped butter if you measure by weight instead of by volume.
- you can use solid stick margarine, but not margarine soft spreads, which have a large amount of water incorporated in them.

icon12.gif

I have that recipe and I love it. I think your shortening was bad. Especially if it was a year old. I think if you use butter, it will come out flat and crispy. I tried it and that is what mine did, so I stick with shortening.

A little care should be taken when substituting butter for shortening or vice versa in a recipe. Shortening has no water and butter does. I'm not sure but I think butter is 15% water.

It probably doesn't make a difference on a small batch of cookies but it could on a large batch. Adjust the liquid ingredients to compensate.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom