Half and Half vs Milk in Scones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eccozmaig

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe for scones that asks for half a cup of half and half, how bad will it be if I use milk instead. :chef:

Don't know your recipe but I doubt the substitution would hurt.

You might add just a tad, and I stress the tad part, of extra butter.

Milk is essentially cream with less butterfat, OK, not exactly, but close enough for governemnt work on a very early Christmas morn.

Scones are great. Haven't made them in a while. Gotta try it again.

Always add raisins to them, but to each their own.

Hope it all works out and enjoy.

A wonderful moist scone recipe that I found at Allrecipes.com uses sour cream and they're great------over 80 5star reviews with the most recent being within the last few days though the original posting is over a year old.
Like auntdot we love ours with raisins and dried cranberries are also delicious. Good luck!

I don't think you will have an appreciable difference. I have also used liquid non-dairy creamer with my scone recipe. In fact, I used a flavored one with much success.

Hello and welcome to DC. The Half and Half vs Milk in your receipe will be okay - the Half ad Half may make the scones a little richer.

The difference is basically the butterfat content. Whole Milk has 3.25-4% butterfat - half and half (h-n-h) is a mix of milk and cream and is between 10.5-18% butterfat.

Substituting milk for h-n-h will make a little difference in the richness and texture ... but not enough that it would be bad.

To put the h-n-h richness (butterfat) back into the recipe using milk: for 1/2 cup milk MINUS 1 Tablespoon milk add 0.75-1 Tablespoon melted butter.

daisy said:
They'll be just fine. To prove it, here's a recipe for a really rich scone mixture, using all cream!

Cream Scones
6 cups self raising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons sugar
3 cups cream

Combine sugar and salt with the flour. Heat cream until fairly hot and mix into the dry ingredients. You may need to add a little more liquid. Press out to about 1cm thick and cut into rounds. Bake at 250C for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180C and continue cooking for a few minutes until nicely browned.

Variation:
If preferred, make up 90g butter to 3 cups with cream or milk instead of using all cream.

Actually, when making scones, I prefer to use soured milk. Seems to make them lighter. Just add a dash of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk or cream.
Another variation to yours Daisy would be to use 1 cup of cream and 1 1/2 - 2 cups of Lemonade [soda to you] or even Fanta with some orange rind. I've made them with Lemonade but not Fanta. No sugar is needed, but that depends on how sweet you would like them

Half & Half vs Milk in scones

I'm sure the scone will taste okay with the milk and is a great ideal if you are trying to lower the fat content. I also have used a low fat buttermilk with good success. However, I must admit, the best scone that I've tasted was a recipe that I used by The Barefoot Contessa which called for heavy cream and yes, it also had raisins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom