Prime Rib - Help! Reheating Leftovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franca

Cook
I hope someone is out there to help! What is the best way to reheat prime rib (or slices therefrom) without turning the meat grey? It's lovely and rare now and we'd like to keep it that way! Thanks!

Franca,
we love rare prime rib, but reheating is going to cook it more so what we do is almost shave the meat and put it into an aujus to warm then pile it onto buttered and toasted rolls with more au jus to dip it in and have french dip sanwiches..I'm sure someone will come along with more ideas for you..Wish I could be of more help, but for my gang french dip is a must after prime rib:LOL:
kadesma

Franca, I did this just last nite! We love our p.r. rare also, but it was too much for just the two of us. I cut two beautiful 'steaks' off, rubbed a llittle oil on them, sprinkled heavily with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder and dropped those puppies in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. They seared with a beautiful crust and just left in ~ 1 1/2 min. on each side.

Perfect!! Still on the rare side of med. rare for serving. The rest of the prime rib is going into fajitas... ;) (Oh, I added the bones to the skillet also and chewed on them for dessert)

Franca said:
I hope someone is out there to help! What is the best way to reheat prime rib (or slices therefrom) without turning the meat grey? It's lovely and rare now and we'd like to keep it that way! Thanks!

I use my microwave--judiciously. In fact, for our tenderloin Christmas Day I reheated some slices for seconds. I stack the slices and heat uncovered on HALF power for "an appropriate amount of time". I know, that is the tough part, but I creep up on it. The slices get juicy and warm and not overcooked.

cjs said:
dropped those puppies in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. They seared with a beautiful crust and just left in ~ 1 1/2 min. on each side.

Any oil or pam at all, or just a hot, dry pan?

Note: My question is to cjs, but I messed up the quote thing.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
kadesma said:
we love rare prime rib, but reheating is going to cook it more so what we do is almost shave the meat and put it into an aujus to warm then pile it onto buttered and toasted rolls with more au jus to dip it in and have french dip sanwiches..I'm sure someone will come along with more ideas for you..Wish I could be of more help, but for my gang french dip is a must after prime rib:LOL:
Thanks, kadesma! I never thought of doing french dips - always liked those but have never made them at home. We did, however, have prime rib paninis for lunch today. I caramelized some onions and applied a bit of cheddar cheese ... 2 minutes in the panini grill ... yummy!

cjs said:
Franca, I did this just last nite! We love our p.r. rare also, but it was too much for just the two of us. I cut two beautiful 'steaks' off, rubbed a llittle oil on them, sprinkled heavily with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder and dropped those puppies in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. They seared with a beautiful crust and just left in ~ 1 1/2 min. on each side. Perfect!! Still on the rare side of med. rare for serving.
Mmmm ... I got more than one recommendation for making rib steaks, so I'll definitely remember that for next time. Not enough left this time to make sufficiently thick steaks. They're going to have to be pretty darned thick to stay rare enough in the center for this carnivore. ;)

The rest of the prime rib is going into fajitas... ;) (Oh, I added the bones to the skillet also and chewed on them for dessert)
Ooh, bones going into skillet tomorrow - great idea! Any thin slices we have left are destined for panini sandwiches. I'm enjoying the leftovers almost as much as the original dinner!

shpj4 said:
The best way to reheat Prime Rib is in the microwave. This way the meat will stay the same way when you last tasted it.
Candocook said:
I use my microwave--judiciously. In fact, for our tenderloin Christmas Day I reheated some slices for seconds. I stack the slices and heat uncovered on HALF power for "an appropriate amount of time". I know, that is the tough part, but I creep up on it. The slices get juicy and warm and not overcooked.
I just have not had good luck reheating rare meat in our microwave. Can't seem to get it warm without turning it at least externally grey. Stacking the slices is a good tip, though....

The winning suggestion for a repeat prime rib dinner, however, came from another forum: place the prime rib in a sealed FoodSaver® bag and into a pot of hot (tap water hot, not boiling hot) water. Takes a bit longer than the microwave but the meat gets warm without any further cooking and retains all its juices. Success! :chef: Oh - and the other great tip was to take the leftovers out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature first before attempting any reheating.

" out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature first before attempting any reheating." - hmmmm, that goes without saying! I hope you do that with all your steaks/prime ribs!

Pouch heating will definitely give you the best results for 'cloning' your previous dinner.

Qsis - I lightly oil the meat before adding the seasonings and then use a dry skillet.

I found this in a local forum, thought I would pas it on.

A way to warm the meat is to use the Tom Hatton lettuce method. Rinse and shake off excess water from leaves of lettuce. Put a layer of them in a pan and place the brisket (preferably sliced)(or other kinds of meat) on the bed of lettuce. Place another layer of lettuce over the meat and cover the pan with foil. The moisture on and in the lettuce will keep the meat moist while it is heated. I do this all the time and it works beautifully. I use either romaine or head lettuce. I think Tom preferrs the romain.
:)

I also use the microwave to reheat steak & it comes out great. Depending on the size/thickness, I nuke it at 30-45-second intervals, checking in between. Meat comes out hot, but juicy & still rare.

I use microvave for reheating leftovers. I add some tablespoons meat stock before reheating. It comes out very juicy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom